has anyone ever lived in a single mom's shelter?

i'm leaving my so. i don't have a job. so i'm going to being living in a single mom's shelter. i was wondering if anyone knew what these were like. are they decent places for infants to be? any advice would be helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• Hey, Im an andministrator in a dv site here in cm. I have never lived in a dv shelter but during my training to become an advocate I learned a lot about them. Each shelter is run pretty much the same way, maybe with a rule or two being different. Records that you where at the shelter are sealed and usually are destroyed before any court supena can be gotten. IF you want the court to know you where living there, that is for you to tell court. and the paperwork will follow. As for life in shelter itself, as with anything there are rules, and curfews that need to be abided by. I believe it is the best place to start a fresh and safe new life at and I have known many women in my group, dv survivors power of being free, who have gone through programs in shelters and are doing so much better for it. The road out is never easy, but the rewards on the other side of being safe and free are worth it. They will help you find a job too,,,
    Anonymous

• I've lived in a domestic violence shelter. My adult dd had to live in a homeless shelter for a while and it was very nice. It was new and she was treated very well. She had two children and I don't remember her complaining. They helped her get her own place in a few weeks.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:05 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I'm not going to say any more than this, because I honestly may lose my temper the next time someone tells me that the reality of my life, and the horrors lived through are a lie... But I did stay in a safehouse for 6 months after I left my husband. It was not Ideal, but I was safe, so were my children. If you are leaving because of CDV, then it is always safer than being in the home. PM me if you ever feel like talking.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:15 PM on May. 31, 2010