Sunscreen? SPF?

I went to the beach this weekend, and i used the baby coppertone spf 50. And i reapplied it at least 2 times through out the day & still got burned on my chest and back. Should i reapply it more often? or get a higher spf? I had the waterproof kind. What is a good ind of sunscreen to put on your face that won't feel thick and heavy and feel hot on your face?

Honda309

Asked by Honda309 at 10:56 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I use 75 or more SPF. You also have to be concerned about wind burn at the beach. As for the face, I use Nutrogena oil free face.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:59 PM on May. 31, 2010

• You have to reapply sunscreen every two hours or so and even sooner if you are swimming. You should put some more on if you have been in the water over an hour, or right after you get out even if it's waterproof. The other thing that people do wrong is not put enough on. You really have to use quite a bit for it to work the way it's supposed to. Anything over 50 is overkill and not really needed.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 11:08 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I use spf 80 coppertone sport. it's the only one that I have found that keeps me from burning here in hawaii. I have to reapply every hour or so whether I am in the water or not. I too use the oil free neutrogena for my face. I like it. coppertone also has a natural one that's oil free and works well for all over but the sport one stands up to water better.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:12 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I saw a 20/20 episode that anything stronger than 30 SPF was a lie. The biggest lie is Waterproof sunblock. The directions will say "reapply after swimming or perspiring".......................how ridiculous!! What is waterproof about that??
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:18 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I don't believe in sunblock anymore. I've used it, not used it, 30, 70, it doesn't matter. I'm going to burn. I just skip the sunblock most times now because at least then I'm not also sticky. I saw that same 20/20 episode or something like it. What a sham sunblock is.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:22 PM on May. 31, 2010

• i get the water babies (pink bottle) 70+ - no burns yet and we went swimming for like 2 hours yesterday, wore it in Florida last year in the hottest part of summer
    Anonymous

• I burn very easy and there is a difference between the spfs. I use atleast 70 and dont usually burn. If I use anything lower I still get burned.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:30 PM on May. 31, 2010

• We all burned today at the lake. My poor 6 month old. I coated her with the stuff at least 4 times. Only sure way is to stay out of the dang sun lol just a big bottle of aloe gel for afterwards
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Anything above spf 30 is a crock. spf 30 means 95 percent protection, so really things like spf 100 are just a marketing tool and dont really provide extra protection. My son has incredibly sensitive skin and I worry about the chemicals and things in sunscreen so after digging around, it seemed the best sunscreen on the market is called blue lizard, which is an Australian company and for some reason, Australian government holds their sunscreen companies to a much higher standard than the US does. It is quite a bit more expensive but gives alot more protection that your standard brand spf 30.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My husband was burned in a fire recently and we were told that anything over 30 is all the same. Also spray on kinds only last about 30 mins. You need to reapply every 2 hours and every hour if you are in the water.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2010