is it ok to register for gifts for my 2nd and 3rd child (twins)?

i already have a 2 yr old, and this is my 2nd pregnancy - with twins. is it common for moms like me to create a gift registry? i am not having a baby shower, but am considering putting a registry together for close friends and family. i know some people having their second babies that registered, and they weren't even having twins... thanks for your opinion!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Personally, I think its tacky. Your first child is only 2 years old so you should have a lot of stuff left over from him/her that you could reuse for at least one of the babies. Making a registry, even if it is just for family and friends, makes it kind of seem like you are expecting them to get you something. I think you should just wait and see if they ask if there's anything you need or want for the babies, and then tell them.
    Anonymous

• I prefer people to register, even if it isn't their first child. I never know what to get because there is no way of knowing what they already have. I would go ahead and create it, that way you get what you need and not a whole bunch of things you'll have to return.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:19 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I think it's really useful! you will have a ton of stuff leftover from your first child, but this is totally different. first and foremost-It's TWINS! I'm sure a ton of your family will want to get you the cutsie twin stuff...it'd be nice for them to know what you like. plus there will be things that you need for the second baby. you may have a stroller, now you'll need a double, or actually a triple since your first is only 2. you may already have a highchair...you'll need more. and so on. I know that if it were a member of my family I would appreciate knowing what mommy would like her kids to have. And it wouldn't even be just because it's twins. I would get some things off the registry and probably something that's my own idea just so it's more personal. Do it girl, I don't think anyone in your family will think less of you. you can always explain that to them
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:21 PM on May. 31, 2010

• for the first kid I think yes deffinately
    for the second I think it is tacky unless the kids are far apart, like more than 5 years, twins or not, a baby shower to me is getting momma and daddy prepared to be parents, by the second time you are already parents and know what you need so you should get it
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:45 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Emily Posts Rules of Etiquette say that unless this child is with a different father, or their are more than 10 years between children, it is inappropriate to solicit gifts or have a shower. Sorry.
    truthrowan

Answer by truthrowan at 12:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• There's a difference between having a shower and registering. I personally like when close friends register, because I plan on getting them a gift when they have their 2nd, 3rd, etc baby whether they have a shower or not and it makes it easier to pick something out if they've registered! I am currently pregnant with my 5th (yes, 5th!) and several of my friends have asked where I've registered (I hadn't yet, so I went to Target that afternoon and picked out the few things I need).

Answer by missanc at 6:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I think it's ok... If you were having a single birth, then yea, it wouldn't really be necessary & it might be a bit tacky. But you are having 2 babies, which means you need a whole other baby's worth of stuff, basically. It's a different situation, IMO.
    Also, like some of the PPs said, some people will get you stuff no matter how many babies you have. Maybe you could just create the registry & only give it out if people ask. Advertising that you have registered is tacky no matter if its your 1st pregnancy or your 10th.
    Congrats on your twins!!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 7:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I think that it's smart to register, otherwise people will spend their money on things you may not need or may have to take back. I think the only people who will know of the registry are the ones you tell, because they have asked, "Is there anything you need?" Despite having a child 2 years ago, you are going to need 2 more car seats, a double stroller, maybe an additional swing or bouncer (because you ony have 2 hands, LOL!) etc. I, for one, am the sort of person that will celebrate your pregnancy and the arrival of twins despite the fact that you don't have a baby shower and even if you had a baby 9 months ago. Of course, I also have never been pregnant, so that anyone's pregnancy is a cause to celebrate with me. For me, not having kids', we always had extra money and those in my family who were havng the children didn't. It was a way that we could contribute to their growing family. Congratulations!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Register, and do it early if you actually want to go to a store and pick things out (you may not feel up to it the last month or two). I wouldn't send out registry notices or anything, but some people will ask where you are registered (some won't ask, but will search for you on Target or Babies R Us websites). You may not get much from your registry, but it will be helpful for some who want to buy gifts for your babies. I like buying baby gifts, and I buy them for my friends and family whether it's the first baby or the fourth. I do understand your reluctance, as I felt uneasy registering and having a shower for my twins even though my older daughter was 11. Good luck & congratulations!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:19 AM on Jun. 3, 2010