Why is his favorite word no?

My almost 2 yr old loves the word no. I try to ignore it and he just gets louder and louder with it. I have tried time out but he will just sit in the corner and yell no. Half of the time if not more he doesn't even know what he is saying no to he will sometimes just say it randomly or at the dog. Please I need advice, is this just a phase. Im trying not to let it bug me but it's hard when hes right in your face saying no.

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 11:17 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a power thing. He's finally old enough to start realizing that he is a separate person from mommy & daddy and he's just experimenting with learning how to exert his independence. This phase will pass eventually. Just be firm with him on the important stuff and start giving him some more choices that are okay for him to make so that he can be independent w/o driving you crazy.
    Anonymous

• nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo is something that kids do lol and say good luck mine says it all the time lol
    Anonymous

• he might like the way it sounds when he says it
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 11:32 PM on May. 31, 2010

• He likes it because it gets a response from YOU! Just ignore it. My 23 month old says "no" to almost everything I ask her. She sometimes says "no" when she means "yes"! It's just a new fascination...soon he will find something else to do/say.

There's no need for time-out for saying "no". He may not realize what he is saying. Like I said before, it's just a new fascination.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:58 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Probably because he hears it all the time. Mine said it a lot too - but I also told them "no-no" more than I should have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Mine says it even when she means yes. I am trying to teach the word yes so that she can use both of them. We are getting better. Just keep ignoring it and working on the rest of his vocabulary.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:24 AM on Jun. 1, 2010