my son told my mom he doesn't like mommy :(

my son was at his father's house this weekend. and i was working today so my mom picked my son up from his dads house. and while they were at home my son says "i dont like mommy, i like daddy".. and that just KILLED me :( why would he say something like that? i just wanna cry! he's 3 yrs old btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• WHY DID YOUR MOM TELL YOU THAT!!! OMG....LET ME PICK MYSELF UP OFF THE FLOOR FIRST. KIDS SAY WHATEVER THEY SAY FOR WHATEVER REASON AT THE MOMENT, THEY ARE SAYING IT. YOUR SON LOVES YOU, I PROMISE YOU THAT. I SWEAR IF HE WAS STUCK WITH DADDY FOR HALF AN HOUR HE WOULD BE ASKING FOR HIS MOMMY....JUST HOW KIDS ARE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• my son hasn't said he doesn't like me yet, but if he did i wouldn't let it get to me too much. kids don't quite understand the effects of their actions and don't know exactly what they are saying when they say it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• He could have said that because Daddy lets him do things that you don't. That doesn't mean he don't love you. OR daddy could be putting mean thoughts about you in his mind. It is something I would check into, just in case.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Sounds like daddy gives him what he wants. The first thing I would think of if I were you is that daddy spoils his little boy. Don't take it to heart.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:39 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My sister did that to my mom for a couple of years...she actually had a little song about how much she hated mommy.

The key is not to let him see how much it hurts you. If he know it hurts you he will keep saying it to get what he wants. My mom made a big deal about it in the beginning and it continued forever! Finally she stopped reacting to it at all and my sister quit saying it.

Of course it hurts you to hear it, but you know in your heart he doesn't really hate you. My guess is that he gets more of what he wants at daddy's house and is just being a little stinker.

Big Hugs! He loves you...try to remember that :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• if you are divorced or split up maybe DADDY put that in his little head
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• This is normal behavior for a child who is three. Even when parents live in the same house they pick a parent for the day they like "better" at the moment. One day it is dad because mom is doing all the house work and dad is the one having play time with the child. Another day it is mom because the child is sick and wants to just snuggle in bed with his Mommy. It could be you take him to the park and now your the best parent in his world. It is up and down. Really kids at this age are experimenting with control and choices. He chooses to like mom but not dad one hour and then chooses to like no parent but love Grandma the next moment. Normal healthy development. Not a big deal. The only big deal is if the adults around him make it a big deal. Let it go and know he is fine. Tell your mom this is normal development for a child his age and to not feed in or encourage him by feeding into it and asking more questions.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Hello,

I'm thinking the same thing as some of the other moms, maybe Daddy let him get away with something that you wouldn't. Try your best to not let it bother you, he is only 3 and doesn't really understand that hurts Mommy. My son is 4 now and when he gets mad he tells me he hates me, I remember doing the same thing when I was little but my mom was someone I couldn't stand to be with out. When my son tells me that he hates me I sit him down and explain to him when he shouldn't say that and how it makes Mommy sad, he has now turned to saying I hate my toys or whatever he sees. I hope that everything gets better for you, just try not to get too upset about it.

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 11:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't read too much into it. I think your son said it because he was currently with his father having a good time. Children typically don't want to leave when they're having fun, like at the park. If he had been with you, and your mother came to pick him, he probably would have said "I don't like daddy, I like mommy, " meaning he enjoys being with you and loves you, not that he really dislikes his father. It means more "I'm not ready to go yet!" It still hurts to hear it, but as he gets older, he'll be able to articulate it better.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 12:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Don't dwell on it. It's normal for toddlers to say such things. I understand it hurts. My kids used to spend equal time with me and their dad, even after we split, then he got a new girlfriend and started spending less time with our kids. 3 years later he sees the kids maybe once a month and they hate going to his place. My 5 year old told her dad that she hated him and he acted like a child. He immediately brought the kids home and while our daughter was in tears trying to tell her father that she really loved him, but he made her mad, he ignored her and walked away! My 4 year old told me the other night she didn't love me because I smacked her for hitting me because she didn't want to go to bed. I ignored her comment because I know how much of a mommy's girl she really is and she loves me - no matter what she says in anger.
    Anonymous