how do you handle your 13 wanting to date

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Do you mean a 13 year old wanting to date? If so then, I would only let them go the movies with other teens. We didn't let them go alone on a date, they had to have other kids with them. But that was our rule, until they were 16 they had to be with their friends too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• 13? dating? I can see going to movies with a group of friends but a one on one date? I honestly cant see that happening in my house. My oldest is 12 and that is just not something we will allow, 13 is too young to date.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Simple - I say no. We have a rule - no dating til 15, and then with limits, that has been made clear and never altered since they were young, so the 13yr old doesn't ask, she already knows the answer. Just pick the age you think is appropriate and stand firm. She will hate you, be angry etc, that's okay, this is Mommying in the trenches :-)
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• no no and heck no. my 13 year old would not even be going to mixed group movie outings. nope.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• In our house, the rule is age 16 for dating. Everyone knows that early on. If my 13 yr old asked me if she could date now, I would simply tell her no, not until she is 16.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Okay as long as they want me to tag along.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• This overprotective mom? HA! My son is 3 months old and he still has 32 years before he is allowed to date! :]
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 6:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• How do I handle it? I say no. I'm the mom. I can say that and make it stick.

If they want to have some friends over and watch a movie in the family room (where my office is), that would be great. I'll even make the popcorn. :)
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:28 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I don't place age restrictions. I deal with things as they come up and I base my decisions on the maturity level of my child, and the reason for seeking permission in the first place.
    beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Just simply state your rules, I think 13 is way too young to go on dates for herself, but I wouldn't deny her a group with parental supervision.

Answer by older at 10:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2010