Well, this should be interesting...

It's proving to be a little costly to live on our own with one minimum wage job. He has family in Florida. His parents and all his brothers and sisters live in one big house. We are moving in with them in a month so there are babysitters to help out while I get a job. He may have a job as a state trooper in a few months. His family is a little controlling. They have a tight grip on the lives of even the over 18 children that live in the house. I'm so nervous about going, even though we only plan on staying until my husband and I get a paycheck or two and can afford to move out. I don't want them to try and raise my son and I really don't want to step on toes while I'm there. Has anyone else been in this awkward situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• Nope I don't know anybody who has that many kids in one house!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Yes and I've never seen it work out well. Once in it's not easy to get out and while there it will slowly build toward hell. Make a time line plan and stick to it. Don't waste money for anything. Once I got in my mom's house with my three kids she started asking for money (so I couldn't save to get out). I finally had enough and found a way to move out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Yes, living with anyone never works well. I agree with pp. It's easy the first week or so because it is new and like a "vacation" because they try to make you feel comfortable and all but once that wears off their true colors show they start at least trying to raise your child or influence you to change start asking for money etc. go but get out as soon as you can. Make a plan now and stick to it
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I live in FL. We have the highest unemployment rates in our history so good luck with that job thing. The state is cutting back in every dept so make sure the troopers are even hiring. the cost of living here is very high when you consider the high cost of rent and the min wage jobs available. several jobs are required. people here with master's degrees are waiting tables because they can't get a job that pays enough to cover basic bills. i don't want to upset you with this information. I just want you informed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I think that the last anonymous post is alittle inaccurate. I moved to FL and the rent is actually cheaper then WY just thought I would throw that out there. However she is very accurate about the job situation because I actually got transfered down here for a job. They paid my way down here with exception of my apt. And then I got laid off 2 months later because I was the newest employee and got paid the most. Im not the only one that got laid off though from that place. But ever since then its seriously like pulling teeth trying to find another job to make the money to move back to WY. Not even fast food is hiring in my area.
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Hello,

I lived with my Mother in-law and Father in-law for about a month, they are wonderful people and very easy to get along with, but it was still very hard to live with them for that long. It wasn't anything they did it was just being at someone else's house for that long. We had one child at the time and I was pregnant with my second and I was so uncomfortable. I really wish you the best of luck, it will be great to have all those babysitters, and hopefully you won't have to stay long!

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 10:31 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Living with controlling people does not work out. Ever. Don't do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2010