Post Traumatic Stress

Has anyone experienced PTS after an emergency c-sec??

Are there any support groups out there?

I have an appt with a Psychiatrist at the end of June. What else can be done besides seeing a Dr for meds? Cuz I know that's all hes gonna give me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Health

• Did you lose your baby even with the emergency C-section? If so, I can see why you may be experiencing PTS. If not, I guess I don't understand what you're going through?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Lori: NO THANK GOD!! My baby is healthy and doing great! I am very lucky.. BUT... my first birth experience was quite traumatizing... As a result I have been put on anxiety meds for my frequent anxiety attacks. My Dr. reffered me to a Psych. because he believes I have PTS. My birth experience is what triggers my anxiety attacks. Anyway... I was just curious to see if anyone knew of any support groups out there for emergency c-secs moms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• there are support groups. I don't have any URL's memorized. The best thing to do is vent. Write down exactly what happened to you and figure out when it went from scary to traumatic. A lot of women have some level of angst about their c-sections. Lossing the baby is not a requirement. There is a loss of control. A loss of bobdy. a loss of that rite of passage experience. Birth really is supposed to give us a sense of accomplishment that propels us into this new roll as super mom protector. C-section gives us this feeling of failure that makes us question our ability to parent sometimes. Other times the actual events are so overwhelming or near death that it can cause full blown PST. If the ansethia doesn't work. If we are treated like a piece of meat. Drugs will only numb you to the pain so you can take care of your family. You won't be healed until you deal withthe feelings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• It might not be related to the c-section as much as you are just experiencing post partum depression. Also, the natural oxytocin that your body releases (the happy, bonding hormone) during labor, doesn't happen for c-section deliveries. It'll take time to get your bearings. Breastfeeding releases oxytocin. So, if you're BFing that will help.

Psychiatrists dole out meds. Psychologists do not. Start out with a Psychologist.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:20 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Thriving Mom, there is actually a such thing as postpartum PTSD, which is different from PPD. Several mood and anxiety disorders exist that happen to women after they give birth, not just PPD. I suspect I have PTSD too. There is a Yahoo.com support group for postpartum PTSD and there may be in person support groups in your area for general postpartum issues:

http://postpartumprogress.typepad.com/weblog/postpartum-depression-support-groups.html
    LittleGee

Answer by LittleGee at 4:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2010