HELP, I just found out my 14 yr old is smoking weed & inhaling gas.

My son's been gettin high off gas in my garage. It's been going on for about 8 weeks. I also just found out that he's been smoking weed. He told me he likes the way the gas makes him feel. Any parents or DR's out there that have any sound advice, please help. I'm home with him a lot, he's been lying to me & was a star athlete on his team until about one month ago, he just did not want to play anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• psych hospital STAT. and i am not even kidding. HUFFING gas fumes could KILL HIM the next time or the time after that. you never KNOW when huffing will kill someone. if he were mine? i would have him in a teen psych lock down hospital STAT.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:26 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My brother had a friend in highschool who died from huffing gas at age 16. Nothing to play around with. (Praying for you and your family!)
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• He needs to get help immediately. Look around for some places where he can get the help he so desperately needs. He will have to want the help in order for this to change. I am praying he will get better. Most of all he needs your love and support through all of this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Tell him that huffing gas will make him retarded. And that is very true, it destroys your brain & will make you become slow. He needs to be watched 24/7. Good Luck!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Get him into counseling, something's going on w/ him he's not gonna talk to you about. Something happened a mo ago that makes him not want to participate & check out w/ drugs. Did he break up w/ someone? Lose his starting position? etc something's going on that makes him want to use so let him talk about this w/ a good trained therapist. GL & lock up anything he can use to get high, pills, inhalents, alcohol-rubbing & mouthwash. Learn what kids are using these days to get high.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• google drug treatment places in your area and make the phone calls this morning. Tell them your situation and ask for their advice. Call a few places, you are going to want one that makes you feel comfortable with them, since your son is so young.
    p.p. has great info re: locking up anything he can get high with, including over the counter medications.

Your son is going to need a medical work up/ call his doctor. He is going to need counselling. My prayers are with you all.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:28 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Look, don't go all Reefer Madness on the kid, first of all. 14 is an age ripe for experimentation. He found an easily accessible substance and likes the feeling it gives him. So the first thing I would do is give him the real skinny on the dangers of inhalants. Try to avoid scare sites and find a place that really will address the dangers of inhaling hydrocarbons and tetraethyl lead.
    http://www.epa.gov/IRIS/subst/0109.htm <-- safety profile for tetraethyl lead.
    Also, consider getting in touch with an MHP who may be willing to introduce your son to someone who suffered permanant damage from inhalants, preferably gas. Most other inhalants have propellants in them that do a LOT of damage very quickly. A message from someone who was damaged by propellants may not make as big of an impact because it's different, kwim?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• For starters, he's 14. Damn-near all of 'em at that age experiment with drugs (some of you will say "mine doesn't"... you're either in denial or they're hiding it better than you think).
    The smoking weed is NOT a huge deal (hello, some states, like Michigan and California, are legalizing/de-criminalizing it for medicinal purposes. Got my medicinal license last week), and he'll likely outgrow that.
    The huffing gas, on the other hand... That one IS a big deal. I know kids who did that back when I was in high school (10 years ago!) and they're still f*cked in the head from the damage huffing does.
    As far as rehab goes, it'll only help him if he WANTS to stop. Otherwise, he'll go through rehab, then come out and go right back to what he was doing. I know as a parent you want what's best for your children, but he's at that age where you can't FORCE anything on him anymore; it'll only distance him from you.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR ANSWERS, I'M REALLY HAVING A HARD TIME DEALING WITH THIS. THIS IS MY 14 YEAR OLD SON & I CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT HE'S THINKING. I'VE BEEN A GOOD PARENT. I'VE KEPT HIM IN SPORTS & I'VE ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR HIM. I'M PRAYING & I'M LOCKING EVERYTHING UP AS WELL AS KEEPING HIM UNDER 24 HOUR SUPERVISION. I WON'T GIVE UP ON HIM & I'LL MAKE SURE TO GET HIM SOME HELP ASAP!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• He is being his age and it does not reflect at all on your parenting abilities, the experimentation is a natural process of development but def get the gas huffing under control ASAP it is very deadly :( not that him smoking pot is a good thing but I would put all my energy on the huffing if it were me since that does kill indiscriminately, he may have some depression or something he is trying to self medicate, there are so many reasons. Best of luck to you, don't give up and don't be too overbearing, just be there full of love for him
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 9:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2010