What's easier to take care of? Carpets or hardwood floors? Pros? Cons?

Is there such a thing as no scratch hardwood floors?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• im not sure if there is a no scratch hardwood floor but there is stuff to keep your floors protected, we use mop and glo till we find something better.....also i have to say hard wood floors are better than carpet....they are easier to clean dont stain(as long as they are treated) And in the long run is cheaper than carpet!! carpet you will have to clean your carpet every so often, it stains way to easy and your always worried about people spilling dropping stuff on it.....it is hard to find the perfect vacuum for your carpet, lol.....and honestly is nasty, it holds so many germs, bugs, and nasty stuff!!! hardwood is deff the healty way to go....and you can buy some area rugs so you dont have to sweep and mop your entire house!!! lol
    angelgrl5200

Answer by angelgrl5200 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I think hardwood is easier because it doesn't require a steam cleaner. You can sweep or vacuum then mop up spills. You don't have to worry about stains!

As far as scratchproof, I don't know. But these are the tricks I use to keep my wood floor scratch- free. Those pads that you put under rugs to keep them from slipping, I cut pieces that are the size of furniture legs (like the couch and sofa). It doesn't stop the furniture from moving completely, but it takes more work to move it plus, the pad stops the furniture from scratching the floor. You can also buy furniture coasters, which are plastic. For smaller chairs or furniture, I use felt pads. These are great on dining room chairs or chairs that don't have wheels. Bed posts can also scratch the floor. For my bed I have the plastic coasters as well.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• As gross as carpet can get, I'm now in a house will all tile/hardwood flooring. I hate it. I have to move my furniture to sweep under it every day, otherwise the dust and dirt pile up underneath them. Just yesterday, I was sitting on the couch, and light was beaming on the floor under my loveseat. There is a perfect outline of my loveseat that is building up dust. My vaccuum just doesn't cut it, and I have a $500 Dyson. It flings the dirt back at me sometimes. The rugs are nice, but at the same time, you still have to move them to sweep around and under them. With hardwood floors you also have to work harder to maintain clean baseboards.

At this point, with a new baby on the way, I would much prefer carpet, with a Kirby vaccuum, and one of those steam-vacs with the special lights to kill bacteria. Plus, you can always use the brown listerine as a disinfectant daily on your carpet too.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:19 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I think it's a matter of what bothers you. Hardwood needs more frequent cleaning to avoid having dirt scratch it up, but with carpet you have to worry a lot more about spills. Carpet reduces noise, but it holds a lot of dust (not good if you have allergies) and has to be replaced every so often.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:21 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• We have hardwood and I'd rather have carpet at least in some rooms. We use murphy's oil soap and it makes the floors look so nice. I don't think there is such a thing as no scratch hardwood. You just have to be careful what you do. Like when you have to move furniture every time you sweep and mop. You would not believe how much dust gets under there even with regular cleaning. I would rather vacuum and then use a carpet cleaner every now and then than have to sweep and mop the entire house so much. And when people come in here and walk through the house with their shoes on, I get to sweep after they leave. I'd just rather have carpet since we have small children and falls are inevitable along with the baby wanting to put anything she finds on the floor in her mouth so basically I sweep every day ususally twice. It's all in what you can put up with as to which is better.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I think hardwood is easier to care for a is definatley cleaner overall but there is something warm about carpet when it is 30 below zero out in Jan. I have wood laminate floors and hate them because everytime you mop them they streak really bad unless I crawl around on the floor and dry them with a towel after they are mopped! My DH actually does this because he doesn't want the streaks, more power to him!
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I choose hardwood floors over carpeting because to me they are easier to keep clean. You sweep and mop. If you have pets with carpeting, its it so much harder to keep cleaner. We have pets and I have mild asthma. So hardwood was the way to go with us.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• We have hardwood floors, I love them! The only bad part is the constant sweeping or vaccuming. Wood floors show all sorts of dust. Carpet in my opinion is harder to take care of, trying to keep stains from setting in and having to deal with stinky carpets.
    MirandaPage

Answer by MirandaPage at 10:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• We don't have hardwood, we have laminate. It is a little more durable, especially since we have 3 dogs and 3 kids. It doesn't scratch near as easily as hardwood, and believe me, we've drug some pretty heavy stuff across the floors. It's also less expensive than hardwood, and can look just as good.

I would much rather sweep my laminate every other day than to have carpet. My home is cleaner, it smells cleaner, and I'm not deep cleaning my floors every month. I use a dust mop (OCedar) on them every other day for a quick clean up, and I use my vacuum before I steam mop them.
    You can SEE every bit of dirt you're getting up off the floor, vs. having 50% of that dirt ground into carpet. Ick.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• We have all hard wood floors in our house and I love it. I think its so much easier to take care of than carpeting when you have kids.Spill juice on a carpet...you're scrubbing...spill juice on a hardwood floor, its a simple wipe up. I have the sweeper out all day long,sweeping up crumbs and dirt from people who "forget" to take off thier shoes,lol...but there are NO mud stains anywhere,lol. And I love the smell of freshly washed floors too. The scratch factor...well...we don't have too many of those, the ones that are there I barely notice. Carpeting looks nice but to me...hardwood looks nicer and easier to clean.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:22 AM on Jun. 1, 2010