How to keep my baby safe with hubby being sick?

My baby was a premie at 36 weeks. He stayed in NICU for 13 days. He then developed serious cold at two months old which gave him breathing problems that went away over time with a nebuliser. He is doing great now but my husband is sick now. He has been having flu like symptoms for 3 days and has this cough too. I am soo worried that my child would get sick again because of this. I keep him in a separate room, my husband doesnt come near him too often. we are doing all we can but we still do live under the same roof of course.. how to protect my baby? I have heard him cough twice and it is beginning to bother me.. i dont want him to go through the nightmare he did at two months of age..... please give me some sound advice.. should i take him to his peadriatrician and see if something can be done? my baby is now six months old. thanks

sarahkjohn

Asked by sarahkjohn at 9:32 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, are you breast or formula feeding? If breast I would say that you should consume a bunch of immunity-boosting foods- acai berry, noni juice, garlic, vitamin c, etc. If he is formula fed, I don't know the rules on supplementing with anything else like vitamin c. Um... I would have said have dad stay with a friend or family member while he was sick since it has already been a few days but now I don't know if it will do any good. I wish you the best and wish I had more helpful advice. :/
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• If you go to a health food store they can give you some supplements to help boost baby's immune system. We use them every time my DD gets sick.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:49 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• By the time you knew your husband was sick it was too late, your baby was already exposed to your husband's germs. If you are breastfeeding it won't protect in the same was as if you are sick but there are things like white blood cells in breast milk that will protect your baby from becoming ill and help the baby get better quicker.

My 36 week breastfed premie didn't go to NICU and went home with me. I got pneumonia and septicemia when he was around 4 weeks and had to be admitted to the hospital, he didn't get sick at all.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:55 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• if breast feeding, i wouldn't worry about it one bit : )
    my dd was born at home 6 days ago. 4 kids had pink eye and a cold, and mom and dad both had sore throats. but brand new baby is perfect! i think God let us all get sick, so the baby would come into a mellow home! i honestly don't know what i would do if i was formula feeding though.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2010