Do you eat organic food? If so, where do you get it at and what all do you buy organic?

My husband and I are going to start eating organic foods. My question is... What all do you get that is organic. All I've ever seen is chicken and just a few fruits. Do you get it at the regular supermarket or at a special grocery store?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I like getting veggies and fruits that are organic. They are much healthier and taste better too. Some PUBLIX stores carries some organic things. If you have a WILD OATS store thats the best place however not with the best price.
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• In our household we only drink organic milk. You can buy it at the regular supermarket.
    momof349

Answer by momof349 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My son works at a special grocery store called Sunflower Markets that is in several western states that has great sales and we get a discount.

There is a list of fruits and veggies that are considered worth buying organic called The New Dirty Dozen; necturines, blueberries, kale, peaches, apples, cherries, strawberries, imported grapes, spinich, potatoes, bell peppers, and red rasperberries.  

You can find lists of foods not worth the money tobuy organic. We get natural meat at Sunflower Market also.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:09 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Red rasperberries (like the spelling?) isn't on the new list. Celery is.

If you are going to use milk it's good it you can find a brand that's organic and local. There is so much wrong with milk, if you are concerned about the planet and you can easily switch to drinking water. It's healthier and you could still enjoy milk products.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I don't buy organic anymore because it just got way to expensive but when I did I could find some could stuff at Krogers and Wal-Mart. Both stores have actually started carrying a wide variety of organics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I do what I can. I grow my own garden organically. The farmers market I go to is pretty much all organic farmers - the main ones are for sure, anyway. We have a friend who raises cattle, his son raises a couple of fair steers every couple of years - they raise the "pets" organically and we have always bought our meat from them (we buy the whole steer, have it butchered, and split it with a couple families). We really don't eat pork. Chicken, we have another farmer friend who raises chickens & turkeys organically - my folks also know organic farmers and we're getting 10 chickens from this other one in a couple of weeks. Milk we don't do at this point (kids on WIC atm, so we do hormone free). I actually haven't ever bought much for organic stuff from the grocery store. Even the bakery I like has an organic line. It kind of depends where you live, for how much you can find easily.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• We grow our own. Right now, we have a spot we are using at my parents house, but we are pulling out our landscaping around the house so we could garden at our home next year.
    Patch_of_Heaven

Answer by Patch_of_Heaven at 11:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I mainly buy Organic Dairy Products and fruits(mainly the "dirty" dozen) and veggies and meat(there is a major taste difference) .I grow my own veggies(in pots) during the summer and whatever I can't personally grown because of space I go to a Organic Farmers Market.Most large Chain stores have a "organic" section ( I live in the Northeast and we have Stop & Shop,Shop Rite,Trader Joe's Whole Foods)
    Anonymous

• For produce, we follow the "clean 15/dirty dozen" pretty carefully. You can get a copy (or iPhone app) here: http://www.foodnews.org/

We buy mostly organic grains, legumes and dairy.

We shop at Costco, Trader Joes, farmers markets in season, ethnic markets (if you are in the Chicago area, Fresh Farms is fantastic), occasionally Whole Foods.

Fell free to send me a message offlist if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:06 AM on Jun. 2, 2010