A question about lice

My daughter has thick curly hair and I'm usually the one brushing it, styling it, etc. Well, last night I was brushing it and found lice. The thing is, the lice were dead already. I was wondering if it could have been from the olive oil products I put in her hair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The lice may be dead but the nits may not be. I would still start a lice treatment just to be on the safe side. Since they have a 3 stage life cycle, you may notice more later.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• start the treat ment NOW. the pp is right , dead lice means there are in fact eggs someplace. it is not from the olive oil, lice travel from head to head. she caught them from contact with somepone who has them, or a hat or something. and it does NOT mean she is dirty or anything like that, thats a myth.wash all the linens, and her stuff. do it quick because this can get out of control fast and then the whole house is full. good luck hon.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I agree with jade mom the bugs may be dead but the nits more than likely are not. The shampoo doesn't kill most nits though so I would just get a lice comb and get all of it out asap.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• "treatment" kits include the comb and instructions on what to do, when I said treatment thats what I meant.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:09 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Olive oil smothers them and kills them. So there may not be a need to treat her with chemical kits. Just keep checking her hair. I would treat the bedding and spray the furniture though. I'd also check your hair and everyone else who has been around her.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• also pillows and stuffed animals put in a freezer to kill them!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 3:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies. You need to treat it quick. If you want an alternative treatment (something other than the chemical ones) I've heard really great things about Tea Tree Oil. The chemical ones work great too though and I personally see no problem with using them, but I know some people do.
    For hair treatment, mix a few drops in with regular shampoo. For treatment of carpets, pillow, bedding, ect.. mix a few drops per cup of warm water in a spray bottle. Wet surfaces thoroughly, but don't drench. Air dry. You can research it more just by googling it. Good luck.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• http://www.cdc.gov/lice/head/index.html

http://www.headlice.org/

the worst advice ever given on CM was always related to this subject. please consult a professional and reliable source for treating head lice on your children.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Thank you all for your advice! I also found some lice repellant spray that has different oils. It's called Fairytales Lice repellant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Tea tree oil is great for preventing lice, they don't like it. There are many shampoos out there with tea tree oil in them. If she is prone to lice try using tea tree oil on a regular basis.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2010