Would it be right to stop seeing my family?

Ever since I can remember my mothers side of the family ALL but two households have lice. The only reason those two don't have it is because they refuse to go around the family anymore. I have tried offering to help them get rid off it but they just don't care. I don't want to have it anymore and I don't want my children going through what I had to with it. What should I do about this? Would it be that wrong to just stay away from them? I love my family but I do not want head lice in my home. I know kids get it but this is different they keep it and I don't want it. I just feel wrong to not see them at all anymore because they are family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tell them you just rid your house of the lice, and you really can't have them over. If they insist, or if you feel bad sending them away, hairnets or showercaps to go around. Sorry, but it IS a health hazard. It took my mom 9 months to get it out of her house with my two little sisters bringing it home from school. It took me 4 months to get it out of my hair and house after their one weekend visit.

And no, they DON'T fly. They DON'T drown, either.

I know how hard it was to stay away from my sisters so long, and it really sucked. But every time they came over to visit, I caked their hair with mayo, and plopped on a showercap. I didn't give them the choice. I let them know that I still loved them, but the bugs were a disaster, and we had to get on top of them before they could run around free without it.

Make sure the kids don't think it's their fault... they'll forever be consious of it.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• btw. We don't have it now because I try not to go around them and if we do I immediatly comb through our hair when we get home but I can't go through this anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• While they are your blood, you have right to protect your family from them. if this is what it takes and you are ok with the repercussions, then do it. This is similar to taking your children to a family members home where they brew meth...you wouldn't keep putting them in that type of enviroment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• yes but i do think you let them know why you stopped coming over & tell them to let you know if they need help or if lice is gone
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:24 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Did you know that simply adding olive oil, hair spray, hair mousse, gel or whatever makes it where your children wont get head lice? Do this right after you wash their hair. That a mayonnaise treatment helps as well and is less toxic to the children's head and hair? Then if you are still of the mind not to go, tell them why and if need be report them to Health bureau. If not for your children at least for theirs. I hope this helps as it was meant too.
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 10:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• op - They have been reported several times not by me but the school. One of my cousins even had her children taken away because of the kids being repeatedly sent home due to lice. She got them back got rid of the lice for a little while and now they have it back again. I bought some of this spray that cvs has to repell it but has it doesn't work well and it was really expensive. I didn't know hairspray wroked though.. does the olive oil stink and how much do you use?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• You don't get lice from just being around people with lice.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I would stay away. I can't stand lice...who can, really. Besides, you have to think of your own children. Lice is so hard to get rid of..what if they get it and you can't get rid of it and then the school ends up calling cps or the health department on you about it? Shoot, that alone would be enough for me to keep away. And the treatments are really expensive and its a pain in the butt because you have to pretty much turn your house upside down and inside out to de-lice it. We've gotten twice, once my son brought it home from school and once when my friends kids had it and they were playing together and she didn't tell me they had it, she had thought she combed them all out but combing alone doesnt work.Maybe by staying away and telling your family the reason why, they will take it more seriously and try to get rid of it once and for all.Good Luck
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Yes you do Gailll....what do you think happens, people just hatch lice eggs from thier brain. DUH. If you are even sitting next to someone that has lice,the lice can jump onto your clothing. Everyone knows this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• apparently GAILLL doesnt know where lice comes from............

Its gross & I would definately stop going over there. If they wanna live with lice & have their kids get sent home all the time thats their business. I dont want my kids to be titled scummy bc someone else keeps passing the lice.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 1, 2010