5 mo old fighting sleep

DD has fought sleep since day 1. Now she's almost 6 months old. We have a bed time routine, when she starts to show she's getting sleepy I get her in her jammies, give her a baby oil massage then feed her a warm bottle (and a bath a few times a week). From there the next few hours and pretty bad. She will close her eyes then open them and SCREAM. She has taken to screaming her head off as a new way to fight sleep. There's some nights she will cry for 2 or 3 hours before falling asleep. she's not colicy, she's nto in pain, she's just fighting sleep. It doesn't matter if we hold her, or if she's in the crib. Nothing I've tried works. She's too big for her swaddling blankets. We've tried CIO but she just keeps crying. She will thrash around to keep herself awake, take out her paci (a new trick she's learned) or just lay there and hum... All the while struggling very very hard to keep her eyes open. I need help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• our 5 mo old is too big for her swaddlers too, but what we do is take a lightweight baby blanket, fold it oblong and roll her up in it. her hands and arms are then pinned to her body so she has a harder time thrashing around to keep herself awake, but her legs n toes can wiggle a bit... also try the soothing baby lotion. that's my miracle lol.
    myangelnevaeh

Answer by myangelnevaeh at 10:29 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I feel so bad for the parents and babies that don't breastfeed. 99.9% of breastfed babies fall asleep nursing. You may not be able to lay them down, but they fall asleep.

My grandson was a screamer & needed magic milky. My son lost his job and my dil went back to work and my son & I were left with trying to figure out the best way to get my grandson to sleep. When my grandson was this age we all lived together. My son would just hold him still and he would cry for an hour and finally go to sleep.

I started playing James Blunt music videos on the computer. It worked! Some people would say James Blunt bored him to sleep. He is now 20 mo and he loves music videos and live music. When he is tired we will watch videos and I hold him for naps. He has itchy, painful eczema.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• OP here: I did nurse for 7 weeks. I have on inverted nipple and dd refused to take that side. I pumped it. But I had to go to back to work at 4 weeks and eventually my milk dried up. Thanks for feeling bad though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• To the poster that mentioned breastfeeding, my son is exclusively breast fed and has been since day one. He doens't use bottles or pacis.

OP - Our almost 7 month old does the exact same thing!! He started at about 4 and half months. Thankfully he only does it at nap time, I think I had one time that he did it at night. I know it's hard and VERY frusterating at times. Espcecially knowing all they need to do is fall asleep!!

This is what we have found that works for us:
    1. Turn the ac/heater on. the noise of the fan helps him fall asleep.
    2. Turn his mobile on. usually that calms him down enough that he'll drift off. Sometimes it takes two-three tries but it works.
    3. Pat his back and butt (while laying in his crib). This usually takes a little while. Once he stops cryinging I need to keep it up for a little longer. If I leave as soon as he stops fussing, he wakes back up.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 11:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• OP I don't have any advice to help the sleep issue as all 3 of my babies were poor sleepers and slept in my arms most of their first year. But about your inverted nipple, just in case you have future kids and want to nurse, you can pull it out with breast shells. I had flat nipples before nursing my 1st baby. My dr told me to wear breast shells a few hours a day througout my 3rd trimester, and it pulled my nipples right out.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• my bottlefed baby falls asleep while she's taking her bottle too... just as easily as a breastfed one... but just like the breastfed one... you cant be sure they will stay asleep once you jostle them around to lay them down...
    myangelnevaeh

Answer by myangelnevaeh at 8:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2010