What is wrong with people? Where is there respect anymore?

One of our small communities near where I live puts out hundreds of the American flag in honor of Memorial Day each year. This year, however, someone decided it was in their best interest to burn these flags lined up and down the streets. If you don't have respect for this country, that's one thing, but why on earth do you feel the need to continually disrespect the property of others and THEIR values? Many out there demand respect, but if you don't earn it, you don't deserve it. Shame on the riff-raff out there who continually wreak havoc on everyone else simply because they don't believe in it. If a TRUE American were to constantly instill chaos amongst those who, IMHO, don't deserve to reap the benefits America offers, you know they would be severely condemned for showing racism and what have you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i thought you could get in serious trouble for burning the flag.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• That is so sad. Do you know that at military funerals sometimes crashers come with pickit signs. I cant imagine burying my loved one and these jerks show up to protest...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• If they hate this country that much, then get out. No point in you being here. They don't deserve our freedoms.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• People who do unforgiveable and irrational things such as what you described are just evil. And ignorant. And they need to be jailed and treated by mental health experts. What they do goes way beyond disrespect,in my opinion. Itr is criminal and mentally unbalanced to do those things.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• shay it is not illegal. And it sounds like these were small decorative flags anyway not actual flags.

If you want to get real picky those small decorative flags aren't exactly appropriate either. I'm pretty sure there's a rule about things like them in the flag code too

Criminal penalties for certain acts of desecration to the flag were contained in Title 18 of the United States Code prior to 1989. The Supreme Court decision in Texas v. Johnson; June 21, 1989, held the statute unconstitutional. This statute was amended when the Flag Protection Act of 1989 (Oct. 28, 1989) imposed a fine and/or up to I year in prison for knowingly mutilating, defacing, physically defiling, maintaining on the floor or trampling upon any flag of the United States. The Flag Protection Act of 1989 was struck down by the Supreme Court decision, United States vs. Eichman, decided on June 11, 1990.

cont'd

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• 176. Respect for flag
    # (c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
    # (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free.
    # (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
    # (f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
    # (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

cont'd
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• # (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
    # (k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

See that last notation - perhaps the people you are calling disrespectful hold this flag code to strict adherence and felt those mini plastic flags inches from the ground were in need of burning...just saying...

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Here let me make it a little easier:

It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• You know this is what gives people like ME a bad name. I do not salute the flag. i do not say the pledge or sing the star spangled banner, however, I would NEVER disrespect the people who do feel that it is special!!! That is down right wrong and I hate it!!! How can someone simply not care how something will make others feel. I'm sure that ruined a lot of memorial days and that is NOT right! You know some people in my family did serve in wars and one died in the military(not in a war but from an illness but still on a military base) my friends have served and one almost lost his life TWICE in Afghanistan! I may not understand why things like this are so big and what the point is to so much material things in this country(I.E the flag) however I will ALWAYS do my best to repsect how others feel about it and this country!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• youre right OP nobody has respect for anything or anyone. its ok to sleep with a married person, its ok to burn the flag. its ok to protest at soldiers funeral, its ok to disrespect eachother. etc etc
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 11:26 AM on Jun. 1, 2010