Anyone have an identical twin and have this problem?

My DD (just turned two) calls my sister mom. And I think she actually cannot tell the difference between us. My sister isn't exactly "mother material" (she will be someday probably, just isn't now) and I HATE this. I think I hate it not only because my sister is immature and does stuff like use bad language and flips people off, etc. but also for the simple fact that my DD shouldn't be calling anyone mom but me. I know she is only two and I don't blame her, it just really irritates me. I've tried explaining to her that I am mommy and my sister is Aunt so-and-so, but I know it is hard for her to tell the difference. We see my sister (and entire family) quite a bit for family functions and stuff. I just don't know how to deal with this, and it pisses me off.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• i think u need to relax. its not a big deal really. i dont get along with my SIL and my son (when he was 4 years old) used to call her mommy. it did kind of irritate me too but i never let it get to me. after all he was a child. he grew out of it
    there are some things in life which u just have to let go and not make such a big deal out of it. its not end of the world sweetie. there are bigger problems out there, like hunger, homeless people, oil spills, unemployment etc..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• she'll learn, it's not worth getting huffy over
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Change your appearance so there is no way she can mistake your sister for you, a hair cut or something like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• If you're identical twins, and she's only 2, you can't get pissed off about it - she'll learn as she gets older but in the meantime she sees 2 "mommy"s. Get over it, get used to it, or change your appearance enough that she can tell the difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• This really shouldn't bother you as much as it does. When my DD goes to my friends houses she calls them Mommy and their husbands or boyfriends Daddy. It doesn't bother me. It is something that they do. My LO even calls our neighbors Mommy and Daddy. But those are just titles. You need to let it go.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Most small children call all women Mommy and all men Daddy for a period of time. It's normal. In your case, even more confusing for you child because your sister really does look "just like Mommy".
    Anonymous

• My ds is two and he's called my mother mommy at times. I think it's just their way of figuring things out. I wouldn't take it personally, I think it's common.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2010