What can I do to have a successful cookout?

Its a graduation party cookout. I just want to know what little tips I could use to make sure everything goes smoothly from set-up to clean-up.

EthansMomma129

Asked by EthansMomma129 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• prepare things in advance so you're not scrambling at the end of the day, have large trash cans out and ready, have drinks on ice before the party, have plenty of seating, and ask for help if you need it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Keep the food as simple as possible!! Do as much in advance as possible.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I agree with the above. Have everything ready to go the night before. Meat already marinated, Potato salad ready, etc. If you are prepared, you will be able to relax. Make lists!! Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:36 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Music! Plenty of ice, cups, napkins and forks.

Lots of grazing food spread around (nuts, chips, pretzels).

Make sure you offer meat and chicken/fish for the non-red meat eaters if there any. I put everything in the small metal pans the day before and warm it with the sternos so it doesn't heat up the house. Cook everything in advance if possible. If you have food that needs to be kept cold, put it in a slightly smaller pan and put it and ice in a bigger pan to help keep it cold. There's nothing worse than potential food poisoning!

Drinks: Think of what everyone likes to drink (water, diet soda, lemonade, beer, etc).

Coffee is a big one in my family so I have 2 pump pots (bought at Sams for $18 a piece) that I make in advance of the party and have them ready and willing to go. Don't forget the decaf! If you fill them with hot water first it keeps the coffee hot longer. Don't forget to have sugar and artificial sweeteners.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 4:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Citronella candles/torches to keep bugs away and enough shade.
    connie45

Answer by connie45 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Planning! Plan your menu, shopping, food prep. Make a time line. Make a task list (with completion times) for every family member.

Check with your guests on dietary restrictions.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 AM on Jun. 2, 2010