How long did your 34 weeker have to stay in the hospital?

I just had b/g twins on May 17th at 34 weeks and 2 days. My baby boy got to come home this past Friday but my little girl is still in the NICU because she keeps having "spells" where her oxygen levels drop down really low... usually either during a feeding or right afterward.

Anyway, this morning when I called to check on her I asked the nurse if it was normal for her to STILL be having these spells and the nurse said, "No. But as far as what is causing it, we don't know."

Up until now they kept saying it's normal for a 34 weeker to have spells where their oxygen drops and that they just eventually grow out of it ... but apparently they are thinking she should have "grown out of it" by now. I'm going to talk to the doctor about it when we go see her tomorrow .... but I am just starting to worry that there is something serious wrong with her.

So, has this happened to any of you? How did it turn out?

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• So I just read your post even more thoroughly... I have no idea why I skimmed.
    But yes, it is definitely more normal during feedings or right afterwards. During feedings, they can be really hungry/anxious, and they just go to town on the bottle and in their enthusiasm, completely forget to breathe. Afterwards, they're lucid, content, have a full belly, and they just want to sleep... and they can forget to breathe.

Don't worry too much, Momma. She'll be home before you know it. Congrats on your twins, btw.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• She came home a week before her intended due date.
    It is common to have oxygen dips every so often for a preemie, that is the truth. Both my son and daughter were premature - my son was born at 26 weeks. And because they're so young, sometimes, they just forget to breathe and their heart rate dips and the machines go wild.
    I'm really shocked and happy that your son got to come home so soon, that almost rarely happens. Hooray. :]
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• havent u already posted this question ??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Yeah but I only got 2 answers. So what?
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My DD was 33 weeks and came home after 3 days. They gave her steroids for her lungs but her digestive system was still under developed and has been an ongoing problem. She is 4 now and just began making whole 'poops' ...
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• It could be apnea, has anyone mentioned that? It would require a monitor. I know a 34 weeker who went home at 5 days, I know another 34 weeker who was there for 4 weeks. My full-term baby was in the nicu for 12 days. All babies are different. GL with your littles!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My niece was born at 34 wks, and she came home on her due date :( She was a good size 6.6 at birth, but kept having spells to. She came home with a heart moniter, but only needed it for a few weeks. Good luck, every baby is different!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 11:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My son was born at 35 weeks and had this very same problem. Especially after eating... It's pretty common for preemies to "forget" to take breaths while eating and their O2 Saturation will drop. He was in the hospital for a week.

My friend's 34 week preemie had to be in the hospital for 4 weeks and a couple days for many of the same reasons and she is a perfectly happy, healthy, 4 year old now. :)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My 34 weeker was only in the NICU for 6 days. However, what you describe sounds like what I've heard form a lot of other moms with premies, not too uncommon at all.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• well im sorry that i cant answer this question cause my twins where born fine....i carry them 40 weeks exacted and hey had no health problems what so ever......
    lilliebean

Answer by lilliebean at 5:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2010