My neice had her baby last Thursday, they were out of the hospital by Saturday morning, and Saturday evening she took the baby to a wedding then Sunday she had the baby at our nephews 3rd bday party...have you ever taken one of your babies out so soon?!

I was at the bday party, thats how I know. I was really suprised to see them there. The baby was born 4 weeks earlier than the due date, she's super tiny (and so super cute btw,lol) She's only 5 pounds and 18 inches long. Anyway...the mom was just letting everyone pass the baby around, 3 year olds at the party were up in the babies face giving kisses. I was th eonly one that insisted they bring out the hand sanitizer,lol. I'm not a germaphobe or anything...it just seems like the baby was just too young and little to be handled and around so many people so new in her life. I know my own toddler that was at the party has had a runny nose for 2 weeks now..I kept her away from the baby.The mom just seems a little ignorant to me on that.I guess everyone is different..what are your thoughts on that? I know its exciting when baby is born and you want to show them to the world but...well, I would just personally be worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• LMAO, I"m a nurse, I'd be making all those toddlers go wash their hands with soap and water, and adults who wanted to hold her too!!!!
    I guess I'm old school.....I never heard of such things before.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My baby was born May 28th. I went to a graduation and a birthday party on June 6th, and then a birthday party and graduation party on June 7th. She was born on time, if that makes any difference.. We never had a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• That's crazy! How did the mother feel well enough to go to a wedding right away? I took my babies out right away to run errands and drive the other kids, but not to anything like that. She should be home in sweatpants!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My son was with us at the grocery stote 1 day after we were released and at the mall at 1 wk old. He was a full term-er and it was May and warm out. We didn't let anyone touch him though.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• It's wise not to take your baby out around others for about 6 weeks, longer when RSV is going around. Some people have no sense. Babies are born with a very weak immune system. Breastmilk can only protect a new baby so much. If a baby isn't breastfed it has no protection.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• We went to my BIL's wedding when my daughter was 3 weeks. We even had to stay over because it was out of state. My daughter was full term.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I'm anon :02, just wanted to add, the birthdays were for my 17 and 18 year old brothers if that makes a difference.. no little ones, and no passing the baby around.. LOL. And I felt fine! :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Yeah, thats what I was thinking too,lol...how can she heself be out that soon too? lol. She had on jeans, she looked really tired but other than that, she looked fine,lol. She must be a lot more tolerable than me,lol. Other than short errands to the grocery store and stuff, I was at home mostly for at least the first 2 weeks.
    Anonymous

• I've never heard a doctor say "ok, you can take the baby home now, but don't go out and don't let anyone touch your baby"
    Anonymous

• it's really her choice. the baby still has all of moms antibodies.

i would not personally. i'd be the one with hand sanitizer.

jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2010