the neighbors have lice....

and i live in townhomes so we all live pretty close. i found out they had lice from a diff neighbor and i'm pissed they didn't tell me and let their kids play with my 18 month old daughter. we don't have lice but the lady is not doing anything to get rid of it but putting vinegar on the kids hair. she let's her kids play with all the other kids around here and it's disgusting!!!! idk if lice can swim but the kids are always at the pool here. can i call someone or the apt owners? she said her daughters were infested badly and they will never get rid of it spreading it around... i just wanna know can i call someone or is this out of my hands? i hope i'm not over reacting but it would break my heart to pick lice out of my toddlers hair she's to young for that.

LoveKillsSlowly

Asked by LoveKillsSlowly at 11:43 AM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Health

• Don't let your Daughter play with them. If the children are school age and schools in your area have not ended, then find out which school they go to and Call the School immediately. Let the school address the issue. I am sure that they do not want these children to start an epidemic of lice in the school. They will call the Mother and instruct her how to have them removed and the Children most likely will not be able to return until they are free from lice. You could also purchase something to remove the lice and leave it at her door anonymously so she gets the message and instructions on how to remove it from her premises. If it's anonymous that should embarrass her enough to take care of it. Just Don't tell your other friend you are doing it just in case she spills the beans. Last resort call Child Services, it may need to come to that. Why should others suffer because of her ignorance? She's pathetic!

Anonymous

• i dont know. people talk. they may have had them and gotten rid of them and word got around. just inspect your dds hair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• well i am friends with the lady she lives next door. we txt and stuff & she has recently told me they still have it. just yesturday she yelled at her kids to get off my porch because they still have it.
    LoveKillsSlowly

Answer by LoveKillsSlowly at 11:49 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I think that the only thing you can do is talk with mom yourself. But if it is getting to the point that you just really cant handle the fact that the kids are suffering from it you could make an annon call to the Department of Family services but then that will open up a neglect case on them. Other then that just dont let your kids play with theirs till its cleared up. I have never heard of useing vinegar on lice before and dont think that will make a lick of difference for them. And just because they got lice doesnt mena they are dirty kids. Actually lice likes super clean hair cuz they can move around better in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Don't let your daughter play with her kids until they get rid of it. Simple as that.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I feel for you when your daughter starts school because kids get it during preschool and elementary all the time. What are you going to do? Not let her attend school?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• anon 11:56... i can't prevent it when she goes to school and get's it but i can prevent it NOW! feel me now? i never said the kids are disgusting. LICE is disgusting and i have talked to the mom i told her what to do about it... it's just been going on forever... i'm tired of my daughter not being able to go out front and play because she doesn't understand why she can't play with the other kids.
    LoveKillsSlowly

Answer by LoveKillsSlowly at 12:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I would contact the apartment owners about it and let them deal with it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Your neighbor can have the kids' hair cut short, and use an at-home coloring kit like L'Oreal to color their hair. They can change it, or get some color similar, doesn't matter, but I've found that best worked for me last summer when my little sisters brought it to my house and left it for me to pick up. Also, using the hairdryer morning and night, the straightener, curling iron, any kind of heat will help. Vinegar MIGHT help cut the glue on the eggs, but will NOT kill the bugs. If she can, have her color the kids' hair, trim it up herself, (salons won't do it due to regulations and it's early enough in the summer it'll grow a bit by the time they get rid of it to get it cut nicely at a salon before school starts) and if it's still not gone after a week or so, use Rit. Just remind her that even though the bugs are gone, she should continue to pick the eggs out... some of the eggs will be dead, but won't fall out.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I'd call the Health Dept. In our town you have to get an appt and ok from the Health Dept before kids can go back to school so they should be called immediately
    Anonymous