Potty Training

My little girl is now 19 months old and for the last month, maybe a tad longer, she's been taking her diaper off whenever she wets herself. When I asked my mother she said that she's ready for potty training, but I have no idea what the best method would be. We have a little toilet for her, we just don't know where to begin. Any tips?

DellaF88

Asked by DellaF88 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well my son is 20 months old, and I started by asking him every 20-30 mintues, "do you have to peepee", or "do you need to use the potty". I also go and sit on our potty and pee, when I get up and wash my hands I clap for myself, and get him excited with me, so he sees that he could be getting this to :) and we also printed out the little chart from huggies.com, and I let him draw a star everytime he sits on his potty, pee's in his potty and washes his hands, reason I picked those 3 is because he doesnt like to make a BM in his potty yet, so I figured we could start with those 3 things. Also I bought some toy cars [hot wheels) because he LOVES cars, and when he goes, I let him pick one out of his "treasure box"

Hope that helps, if you need more tips or want more ideas feel free to PM me :)

Good luck, & remember to be patient :)
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Just start putting her on the toilet when she first wakes up and if you want to be pushy about it take her to the toilet every 30 minutes or so.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 12:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I agree with the above. Potty training is so much easier with a little one than with a big, verbal, limit-testing toddler. Mine trained between 19 and 24 months and it's great.

After naps, and also before car trips sit her on the potty and run the water or make a water sound so she doesn't go in the car seat.
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 2:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2010