Does Your Child wear AFO?

My son almost 9 wears AFO. This is our first summer with them. He just started wear them in Jan 2010 following the surgery he had in Nov 2009. We have no air condition or anything like that. It has gotten pretty hot here recently and I know having the socks and plastic on his legs (his AFO go all the way up to his knees) must not be the most "comfortable". Any tips on how to beat the summer time heat seeing he does HAS to wear them for the majority of his waking hours. (He only get up to 4 waking hours without them).

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My DD wore them from the time she started walking until she was about 7 (even required to wear them at nite for a time). Is he personally complaining about the heat? My daughter never did but I was always worried because, Lord knows, it could not have been comfortable. The only thing I could really do was to make sure she had cotton socks on to let her skin breath as much as possible. I used knee socks the full length of the AFOs; bare skin against the plastic would have been much worse. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:38 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My daughter never had a problem wearing them, she was so small when she got them and she never wore sandals before she got her AFOS, she was used to wearing them, does he complain about the heat?? I used to take her swiming or run through the sprinklers without them, then she started not wearing them at school behind my back so I said fine I am not spending the money on it, if you are not going to use them (my health insurance lapsed), and they never helped anyway. Cotton socks help, good luck, it is so hard, people are so rude, they say rude things,and other kids are nasty sometimes. How long does he had to wear them?
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 4:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• He just started to wear them Jan 2010 and we were told he'll have to wear them for the next 2-3 years. He doesn't out right complain about it, but since the "heat" came he's been clock watching, waiting for that "time" when they can come off and as soon as it's time he's mom can I take them off now. Where before the heat came he didn't watch the clock for the time.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2010