What would you do?

What would you do if your child's father refuses to give you a contact #? My daughter father got a new # and have not given it to me yet. He calls our daughter once a day buit he calls from a private #. I never asked him for the # because if he wanted me to have it he would gave it to me. I always answer his calls because I know he is calling for our daughter and I will never keep him away from her but my father mention to me to make myself and our child unavailable to him since he refuses to give me his #. For the record we are not together and if something important happen (I pray dont) then I will have to call his mother and she will call him....personally I dont do that because I like to keep everybody out the loop when it comes to our daughter. What would you do?

mom42107

Asked by mom42107 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• i'd just ask him for the number next time you talk. but he may not be calling you from his phone. he may just borrow a friends phone or a neighbor or something.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Do you have caller ID? I suppose it just says unavailable or private when he calls. I would ask him for his phone number next time he calls. Why not? If he says no, then tell him since you dont know its him calling then you may not answer the phone. Who says you have to call his mom if there is an emergancy? No you dont. He should be made available in case of an emergency contact. That in itself should get through to his thick skull.
    Anonymous

• I agree, if he doesn't give you the number, then I would tell him that I wont answer the phone anymore unless its a number I recognize. Depending on how old your daughter is, its not fair to her that she cant call her father whenever she wants. She must wait for him to call her. And I also agree you shouldn't have to call his mom to get ahold of him if there were an emergency. HEis her father, he should be able to be contacted directly.
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 1:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I agree with the others. I would tell him that it is his responsibility as a parent to give you a number to contact him at-- especially if there is an emergency. If your child is school-age, then you will need that number to put on school forms. Plus your child should be able to contact her father and call him whenever she wants-- not wait for him to call her. I like the other mom's suggestion of not answering 'unknown' calls, if you have caller id you can also block unknown # -- does he realize that? Then he would not get to talk to his child at all!
    Anonymous

• The person with the child has to provide a contact number for the other parent. If he takes her for visitation then he has to give you a number where she's at. Until then, he has told you how to contact him in an emergency. Just bc you don't like doing it his way doesn't mean it's not right.
    Anonymous

• Well, ladies I asked him for the number.....and got shut down. He refuses to give me the # so I am going to take his privilages away from him..meaning that I will no longer answer blocked #s.
    mom42107

Answer by mom42107 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2010