Do you use baby talk to kids or change your tone of voice when speaking to kids? Do you allow it to your child(ren)?

Personally, I can't stand it and have always talked to kids, especially Kiwi the same as I would to an adult (without the swearing of course) and have insisted others do as well.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• i use a more gentle tone, but not baby talk. I'd like her to learn to speak properly.

jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I use some baby talk with my son. I don't see the harm in it.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I never did baby talk with mine i always thought that would give them a spech problem and its better for them to learn the right way
    Anonymous

• I talk to my kids the way I would an adult... I have a friend who baby talks to her kids and they are now 5 and 6 and cannot talk clearly. I may talk in a softer tone but I do not like baby talking to kids... They learn by the speach they hear.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I baby talk my cat and it drives my kids nuts!
    Anonymous

• speech~ sorry
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Well I had 2 older sisters and 2 younger sisters and 5 younger brothers and we always talked baby talk to the little ones and they never had a problem with there speech. So Im not worried that about my son having speech problems.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I agree with you. It drives me nuts when people talk that way to their kids. It's so funny when someoe talks that way to my 4 year old because she isn't used to it so she assumes the person is an idiot and she'll talk slower to that person.
    Anonymous

• I speak in a calmer voice when talking to kids. Not big into baby talk.
    Anonymous

• I use some baby talk around babies and my voice does go a little higher sometimes but generally I speak normally to kids and save all the sappy stuff for my cats.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2010