Would you allow this?

Would you allow your 12-17yo to leave on a Friday after school and come home on a Sunday evening to stay with a friend EVERY WEEKEND? Would you allow them to spend days on end (5+ days) during summer vacation with their friend's family, not coming home to check in and not checking in on them? Not with a close family friend, not with parents you know well (or even know at all) and not a sleepover as in just a night with a close friend once in awhile. What would you think of parents who NEVER called and checked on their child while they were at your house for days on on end and who never introduced themselves TO you before their child stayed at your house? Would you feel bad/sad for the child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i would feel bad for the child ... if it was my childs friend, i would continue to allow them to spend time with us, because obviously somethings going on with there family and i wouldnt take it out on the child, i would make them feel wanted with us.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't allow it.
    Anonymous

• No. I do not allow my kids to go to friends houses to begin with. Their friends are welcome here where I can watch them. I just don't trust other parents.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I don't see any reason why I wouldn't allow it. Either you trust your kid or not... Plus, by that age they should have a cell phone, so you can talk to them any time and they can always call you if there is an issue... I don't see why not. In other countries girls at that age are getting married and many of the families don't know the husband much at all... I don't see an issue... Plus, If you were really uncomfortable, how hard would it be to go meet the parents?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• it would depend if the kid was 12 or 17. at 17 they are almost adults anyway.
    Anonymous

• No. I always say.."we actually enjoy each others company around here." Even our teen. Once in awhile is ok...extremes, no. After a couple of days...time to come home, or time to go home. ;0) The 3 of us have been through tough times emotionally & mentally together. We are very close and very tight. We appreciate just our family time together.
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 2:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• btw ~ Yes, I would feel bad for the child thinking there were issues at home that they didn't want to be there for. Or, there's a lot of paryting goin' on. lol
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 2:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• No way. I am sure there are times my dd wants to be away for a week, but unless they are going on vacation together I would not allow my kid to spend a week at a friends house, just because. And even if I did, there would be lots of checking in.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• No way!!!!!!! this is why my house was always and still is grand central station!

Answer by older at 6:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• You've asked this question before. If you have this problem with YOUR child, put your damn foot down and BE THE PARENT!! Otherwise, it isn't any of your business!!
    Anonymous