What is your opinion on this?

Is it realistic or unrealistic to think that 18-19yo high school graduates can live on their own, away from the controls of their parents and to make the right choices? Or do you feel that your child should live at home until they are 21+ because they aren't ready at 18-19 to be on their own? Should a parent encourage their child to leave the nest sooner, rather than later? Is it selfish parenting to encourage them to move out as soon as they can? Are parents who encourage their adult children to continue to living at home stunting their emotional growth more than helping it? What's your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on the 18 or 19 year old, thier maturity level. I moved out of my parents house 2 weeks after I turned 18. I got an apartment, held down a full time job and was going to college. I did pretty well on my own. Its been 15 years since then and i've never had to move back,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I think given the economy, and the fact that college graduates and long time professionals can't find jobs, thinking that an 18 year old can find a job that will support them 100% is not likely
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• That I personally believe depends on the child. my 18 year old is graduating next week and while she is VERY bright and very book smart, there are a few things she would struggle with if on her own. Not that she couldn't do it but it would be more difficult and take away from her focus which is her education. We are parents should raise our children with an independent spirit, helping them to be able to spread their wings, however, each child is different.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• We as parents **
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I agree with mamakirs.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I have a 22 year old son who just graduated from school with a bachelor with high honors, went to it with a full scholarship. He is just starting out with a job that right now does not pay much, I do not think I am stunning his growth by letting him stay with us until he is ready to go out on his own. I also have a 31 year old daughter who was out on her own and then lost her job, so she is here until she gets back on her feet, who better than us to help them out in a time of need? I would never ask them to leave unless they feel they are ready and they could stay with me indefinitely for all I care, my home will always be open to my children no matter how old they get! There is no age limit it all depends on circumstances.

Answer by older at 1:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• It depends on the child and the maturity level. I have a 18 & 19 year old at home. The 19 year old would pay his bills and take care of what needs to be taken care of but the 18 year old will buy clothes before he paid a bill...As far as I'm concerned my kids can stay with me until they were ready to leave and if they wanted to leave and decided to come back home, it would be fine with me.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• It depends on the kid!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 1:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I think it depends on the person, their level of maturity and how responsible they are.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I think it depends on the person. Some may do great at 18 living on their own, some may not. Honestly, as a parent, when my DS gets 18 I will view it as his choice. He will always be welcome in my home, however, if he chooses to live there he will be expected to respect the fact that it is my home. Example: if he was 25 and living at home, when he went out I would not expect him to give me a rundown of what he intended to do, I would expect an honest answer of whether or not to expect him home that night.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2010