Fever with ALLERGIES???

DD went to the dr today. He says she has allergies (seasonal) which we already knew. She's been running a fever between 101-102 all weekend. I thought you have to have some kind of infection to run fever?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Health

• I have chronic and severe allergies. I take shots once a week and routinely see an allergist. He says you do not run a fever with allergies. If you have a fever, then you have an infection (be it viral or bacterial). You can, however, get seasonal hay fever that is brought on by allergies, but that either come with no fever or a low grade (99.5 or below). Anything over 100 is not allergies.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• An allergic reaction is an abnormal physiological response to an innocuous substance. In other words, the body is attacking something harmless (ie..pollen) as if it were a dangerous invader, so a fever response is not unusual.
    Anonymous

• As pp said a low grade fever isn't uncommon.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 1:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• The allergies could be causing a bit of a sinus infection, which would be causing a fever too. We're all going through it right now - we started off with our normal allergy stuff, but it got so bad so fast all 6 of us wound up with sinus infections on top of it, and DD & I have had moderate to high fevers. We're all on antibiotics, plus I'm on steroids, on top of the allergy meds. Fevers are rarely from allergies alone.
    Anonymous