How do you help your son adjust when you divorce ?

I was married 8 years and with a man for 13 years. Then became aware of my lesbianism and decided to act. I divorced my husband. My 11 year old son has been behaviorally ok, but sometimes I worry he doesn't tell all of his feelings.

JayJay260

Asked by JayJay260 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• 13 yr old boys rarely show their feelings. I have a 15 and have been divorced for 7 yrs. Even in the beginning when he was 9 and I took him to family counseling he had nothing to say. Maybe he really is adjusting if he isnt acting up. Just continue to be there for him and good luck
    Anonymous

• Don't say bad things about his dad.Even if he is a piece of crap.I did and it was a mistake.I would just be hones with him when he asks you questions on his age level.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 9:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• my kids had a Family Changes group at school. Is there anything like that for him? Also, the courts here make kids go to a little workshop to help them adjust. Maybe spend time with him, and meet him where he is at. I take my son to Home Depot and listen to his endless talk about cars. Just keep the connection.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• A YMCA IS A GREAT PLACE TO START. NOT ONLY IS IT A PLACE OF FUN...BUT THEY ALSO HAVE ACCESS TO MALE MENTORS. I WENT THRU THE SAME THING WITH MY SON. IT MADE THE DIFFERENCE IN WHO HE IS TODAY. IN A BOY'S LIFE, ITS ONLY SO FAR THE MOM CAN TAKE THEM. A MALE MENTOR IS DEFINITELY NEEDED...
    TRUE68

Answer by TRUE68 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• some kind of counseling. divorce is very difficult for everyone. kids need someone to talk to
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 4:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2010