Regarding the Great "It's A Boy/Girl" Appointment

What happens during the fetal assessment appointment in which the sex of the baby is discovered? And how long is that appointment. Please share your experiences, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• the us was like ten minutes, they did a lot of measurements, and when she was almost done she asked if we wanted to know the sex.
    Anonymous

• Yaaaay the infamous gender appointment!! It has got to be one of the most exciting days of my life (minus the birth!) Every doctor's office is somewhat different but when I went we automatically went into the ultrasound room and she went over a few things first (to build up the suspense I think). Then she made sure we wanted to know what it was and she said it was a boy! It was very cool. She then spent a good 30 minutes showing us all of his little body parts and took lots of measurements. It was an amazing experience! We then got pictures and had my actual doctor's appointment right after that. Enjoy!!
    BraydonsMama262

Answer by BraydonsMama262 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• The sex isn't always discovered. And if it is, it's not always right. I had 2 babies that the privates could not be seen, and I had 1 baby that was wrong - they said boy, twas a girl. There is no guarantee til baby comes out. Don't assume you'll be able to find out or that they'll be right.

That said, I only had 1 ultrasound with every one of my babies, between 19-24 weeks. They all lasted around 30 minutes or so. All were done in the hospital by a certified radiologist who reported directly and immediately to my midwife.
    Anonymous

• They will take a lot of measurements of everything first, usually it takes about 10 minutes. After that they look for the "parts" but the time all depends on the baby!! My first, it took almost 45min. My 2nd, we gave up after 1/2 hr, she wouldnt let us see!! Same with our 3rd and with our 4th we were in and out in about 20 min!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 4:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I had two ultrasounds with both babies and its usually around 30 min's depending if baby is in right position or not. I found out sex of baby #1 and it was accurate and baby #2is supposed to be a boy wont know till Aug. i hope it is a boy both his ultrsounds say boy!
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 5:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• It depends on how cooperative the baby is. They take measurements of a lot of different things. Most of my friends were finished with the ultrasound in about 20 minutes but mine took over an hour because she was moving so much. It took forever to get a look at her spine.
    bekfish84

Answer by bekfish84 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2010