Is this okay???

We are going out of state this month to visit my husband's family. None of them have ever met out 3 month old son and my mother-in-law wants to take our son for a few hours while my husband and I have a date night. I'm not sure if I should do this because Braydon has never been left with anyone he doesn't know. We are working on building trust and I'm afraid that leaving him with a total stranger will terrify him and make him think I'm just leaving him. Also, he does have seperation anxiety even when I hand him to someone new for a few minutes. Should we just pass up on date night? I have done this once before and when I came home he was screaming at the top of his lungs and it took forever to get him to settle down! (poor guy) I need some advice Mamas!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it kind of depends on his reaction to the family members. if he seems uneasy to begin with i wouldnt, but if he really takes to them he may be ok.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• well i understand where your comming from, and im not sure what i would do if my son was screaming & crying either ... but if you want him to ever be comfortable without you, with someone else, with your mother inlaw, you have to start somewhere ... my mom and my SO's mom, and my aunts & grandma, and my dad & stepmom, have all watched my son for me. of course when i get home, he cant wait to come to me .. but hes comfortable enough to stay with them & that works out good because sometimes i have things i need to do without him, or i just need a break.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I would tell MIL thanks for the offer, but discretion is the better part of valor and I'll pass.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• i wouldn't at that age (however, i did have to leave the baby with my husband for a few hours while I went to work part time...but that was different since he's the daddy and it was necessary). They do outgrow it. But what you CAN do is a date night in. You MIL can watch the baby (maybe if you got the baby to nap that would help) while you and your husband have dinner in or watch a movie for an hour. No need to actually go out at a distance for several hours.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• "but if you want him to ever be comfortable without you, with someone else, with your mother inlaw, you have to start somewhere", Yeah, but not at only 3 months old though!

I'd say "Thanks, but no thanks! Can I take a rain check for that offer, and when we are here when he is a little older we'll take you up on it."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2010