When did parents start giving their children so much freedom & stop parenting?

I don't know when it happened but it seems like somewhere along the lines minors have become given a large amount of freedom. If they want to talk back to their parents their parents call it "expressing themselves". If they act up in class then the teacher must not have earned the child's respect. If a teenager comes to their parents & says they want to have sex their parents put them on bc/buy them condoms. We're catering to our children, we aren't making them accountable and then we wonder when they have children before they tturn 18, drop of high school, etc.. Parents CAN say no to their teen who wants to have sex. Parents CAN tell them no when they want to go out with friends. Parents CAN supervise their minor children until they graduate high school. It's our job to teach our children, to guide them & to make decisions for them when they aren't making the best ones for themselves. When did parents stop remembering that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Amen! I completely agree with you!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I totally agree with this!!!!! I get SOOO SICK of everyone acting like their children call the shots. I'm mom and I'm boss! My kids do have freedom but only when I say it's okay. I'm raising kids. If they act up, it's on them and will be treated as such. If my children do something stupid... I don't blame it on someone else. Over the age of like.. what? 6? They know right from wrong and I certainly don't cater to them. Good for you for posting this!
    Anonymous

• I have 2 theories on this.One, I think that there is so much controversy about HOW to raise a child now and what is or isnt child abuse, what is the right and wrong way to talk to your kids,what punishments are or are not appropriate that people just tend to not know what the hell to do or say so they do NOTHING at all.
    Second theory: It began with the crazy woodstock people,lol. They procreated and raised thier children very freely (which in part is not an entirely bad thing in my eyes) however, the next generation after that took it a step further and the next took it a step further..and heres what you got...a bunch of goons running around with no disciplince, no prinicples, no cares, no worries, no concern, no respect...just big mouths, big attitudes and lots of uncontrolled pent up anger.
    So, Thats my theory and I'm stickin to it,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Bravo! I agree.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• When parents started getting accused of abuse, kids threaten them with call the cops.

I seriously here, I am scared i will get my kids taken away. Alot and I mean alot of parents say that.

When my kids were younger I heard alot of stories- I was the same way somewhat, It took me a while to realize I am not at all being abusive, just parenting. They know respect, no mouthing off, responisibility call who ever you like. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My son has freedom but I have the last word and I know where he is and who he is with if I say come home because I think its wrong he does. So he knows he has to earn and keep earning to have what he wants. Respect is something he also knows but we are talking about a future Marine he knows respect.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I agree, I got bashed this morning for posting that I disciplined my son for interrupting me and a man who was coming to work in our house.

I was told I was crazy. My son is 7 and knows not to interrupt, but he chose to do it 3 times in less than 5 minutes.

I dont tolerate that.
    Anonymous

• anon 57: you had went overboard by spanking your child for something not that bad, and you know it. You should go apologize to your son. There is a time to spank and there is a time to redirect. You chose the wrong time to do the wrong thing. There is a difference.
    Anonymous

• OP here. Anon :28...and YOU are just the kind of parent this post is about! A child who interupts and who knows better deserves whatever consequence his parent deems fit. I have friends who say that whatever their children is saying is more important than the conversation. When the hell did that happen? when I was a kid we waited politely until the adults finished speaking!!!
    Anonymous

• I agree! Some parents are too scared or too lazy or too busy to parent their children. Too many children are diagnosed with ADHD, ADD, and ODD when they really need to be diagnosed with BAD. I feel bad for the children, because it is not their fault that they are not being taught self control, respect...etc.
    Anonymous