Should a man that is tricked into fathering a child be required to pay support?

By tricked I mean, hole put in condom, lying about birth control, the turkey baster method, etc....

I was watching Law and Order: SVU last night and the epsode was about paternity and it turns out that if a child is conceived during a marriage but isn't the husband's child, even in a divorce he is still required to pay support.

I think that its not about the parent's its about the child and any man that gets a woman pregnant should be required to pay, no matter what, because he chose to have sex with her.

What do you girls think?

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Unless the woman admits, there would be no proof. Abstinence is the only 100% method of birth control. So I say NO. If he is having sex, he is risking pregnancy/STDs.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• yep.. you play you pay
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I guess I mean YES...he should pay. He did the deed and if this deed creates a baby...well, then he's responsible.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• when you have sex with someone you run that risk. it's his and he has to take responsibility.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• If he TRULY doesnt want to have children, then he should just not have sex. Anytime a man and a woman get together and have intercourse, there is a possibility of a pregnancy occurring. His penis,his semen, his child, his 1/2 of the responsibility.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I agree... What about in the case of the man from the show? He got stuck paying that bitch alimony and child support for her to live with the man that she had been cheating with all that time... And the son wasn't even the husband's! How bizarre!
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I honestly believe, man or woman, if you have consensual sex, then yes you are responsible if a child is conceived. There are a lot of children that were not "on purpose" that does not mean they deserve to be supported any less.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My x swore my youngest dd wasn't his and demanded a DNA test. The CS prosecuting attorney asked if we were married. X said "yes". CSPA said "too bad, so sad, you are legally the father" and told him to pay up. My dd IS his child. I didn't cheat on the jerk. He just didn't want to pay cs. So it's not just on tv that it's the law.
    Anonymous

• I guess the guy should have his own condoms and even double dip (using two for safety) if it's a real issue for him

Answer by admckenzie at 2:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• The catch is, how does he prove that he was 'tricked?' How on earth would you prove that she poked a hole in a condom or lied about birth control in a courtroom and have it be conclusively proven? Because of that, I think it would become a loophole for every deadbeat who fathers a child and doesn't want to pay support, and because of that I think the dad should have to pay regardless, because it's still in the best interest of the child and the last thing we need is a legal loophole for deadbeat dads!
    Anonymous