What can you do to start having periods naturally in order to TTC?

My husband and i have been trying for almost 5 years with NO form of birth control without success. I now have not had a period in over a year. My GYN insisted i had insulin resistance for like 2 years, and finally sent me to an endocrinologist to prove herself right. Except she was wrong. He tested me for everything under the sun, and he even put me on metformin for 6 months!! He told me he did not think i was even close to borderline insulin resistance, but that he would give me the metformin, and if i started, maybe i just have super insulin sensitive ovaries, but if i didn't start, that I did not have IR, and he was right. Nada. I went back to my GYN, and you know what she did? She gave me ANOTHER copy of this article about Syndrome X and told me to loose weight and lay off the carbs! My H is a Type1 diabetic, so sugar in my house is like finding treasure! What else can I do to start? And where's a good GYN in Lou., KY?

DashleyKay

Asked by DashleyKay at 2:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Have you looked at PCOS? That can affect your cycles.

No ideas on doctors, but call your insurance company. There is a school of medicine there, so perhaps you can find someone better there.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Look for a hospital affiliated with a university medical school. That's where to find the docs with the most up to date information. I'm sorry I have no advice for you. Good luck and Hugs!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• are you eating a clean diet? do you exercise? how are your stress levels? are you coping with stress the best that you can? if diet exercise and stress management are all good, i would seriously look into a homeopath.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• SIL was overweight and didn't have regular cycles. Wasn't a diabetes issue. It was just her weight. She lost the weight and got pregnant.
    Anonymous

• i have no idea what to tell you. But i do wish you good luck.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• You can have PCOS and not be insulin resistant. I have a hard time getting pregnant and have been trying for almost 2 years this time. I don't get periods unless I take Prometrium or Povera. Progestorone pills aren't "natural" but it's better than not having a period for year. Have you had your thyroid checked? Have you looked into cushing's syndrome? Do you exercise too much?(as in are you a big marathon runner? That can cause issues with cycles) Has your husband been checked for fertility problems? Has the Dr done an ultrasound to look at your ovaries? Have you tried fertility drugs?

How about Vitex or Chaste Berry Extract? That is an herbal supplement that may help get you period. Didn't work for me , but it works for some. So sorry you're going through this. Good luck with everything.

Anonymous

• Hello,
    Have you hear of FertilAid? I suppose to regulate your hormones and help you conceive. I have heard so many good things about it. Many women have got pregnant after taking it for only one month. And these women were TTC for 3 to 5 years.

I hope it helps. Do some research on it.

Good luck.
    DeLaiz

Answer by DeLaiz at 4:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• does sound like PCOS...there are some natural things I can't remember all of them but take folic acid and chew fennel seeds. I took Vitex/Chasteberry and chewed fennel seeds, I can't say it helped me get pregnant or not but I was pregnant in like 3 months after coming off the pill being on the pill for 12 years and not having one regular cycle so it is worth a try I guess? fennel seeds are supposed to promote uterine contraction/buildup for menstruation and vitex is supposed to help regulate cycles, does it work? like I said I don't know, I could give it credit for my quick pregnancy even though my cycles were so weird. If you do get pregnant stop taking fennel seed and vitex right away though....good luck!!!! oh I also put a picture of the goddess Bast/Bastet up :) look those things up and see but ask doc about PCOS
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 9:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• DO NOT get FertilAid. It's NOT clinically proven.

Try Fertility Blend (http://www.fertilityblend.com/) instead. It's CLINICALLY PROVEN and is recommended by both OBGYNs and Fertility specialist.

OR

Take Vitex...you can find LOTS of information on inducing a period with vitex on the internet as well as sucess stories. It's also been very sucessful in women with PCOS.

Anonymous