Ineligibility for re hire

Has anyone ever been ineligible for re hire at a place and how did you handle that on a job application when they ask can we contact your former employer?

psurmont

Asked by psurmont at 2:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• It depends on how long I worked there. If I didn't work there long I just don't put it down.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Best practices from former employers is to only provide Date of employment/position held, they should not provide any information regarding your eligibility for rehire, it is not best practices at least, not if it's going to harm the former employee on obtaining future employment, however there are some legal perameters to not providing the reason for inegibility for rehire but if you just quit, abandoned your job, terminated for attendance/tardiness and things of that nature your former employer should be providing that information.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Only once, and I was upfront. Management had changed and that's exactly what I told the interviewers. But I work in broadcast, where you're nobody till you've been fired at least once.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• in a lot of places it is illegal for them to even state that you are ineligible for rehire. they are only allowed to verify that you were in fact employed and from what date to what date.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I guess I didn't quite read the question,admckenzie-if you were there for a short period of time I wouldn't even put it on my job application, tell them that your gap was due to personal reasons.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Actually when I was going to school and took a short course in HR, I was told that if they ASK "would you hire this person again" a yes or no answer is appropriate, but they CAN NOT ELABORATE on that answer.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• So would ineligibility for re hire be the kiss of death and so you put no on contacting former employer or do you say yes and take your chances and what do you give as a reason for putting no to contacting former employer?
    psurmont

Answer by psurmont at 3:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• By law the company is only aloud to tell if you worked there and dates of employment but then not everyone does what they are aloud to!!!
    Anonymous