Recall Notification

Did you know that unless you sign up for notifications from the FDA and the FSIS there are recalls happening every day that you are not aware of?

Food recalls are broken into 3 classes: I / II / III - a mass notification is only sent out for class I recalls...yet there are still risks associated with II & III even if minor.

Don't you want to know about these things?

see below

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Thanks, I'd actually like to know if I had something in my home that was dangerous.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• FDA RECALL CLASSES DEFINED
    When the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recalls a product, they classify it into three classes (much like USDA) based on the relative health risk:

Class I Recalls by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are the most severe type of FDA recall. In a Class-I recall there is a potential for serious injury or death.

Class II Recalls are issued on products that have a lower chance of causing major injuries or death, but where there is still the possibility of serious enough adverse events to have irreversible consequences.

Class III Recalls are not very likely to cause adverse health consequences, but there is still a chance and therefore the product is being recalled.

Finally, FSIS will provide lists when retail sales are associated with a Class I recall. There will be no distribution lists associated with Class II or Class III recalls.
    Anonymous

• If they don't think they are bad enough to tell everyone about, no I don't. I get enough crap in my email as it is.
    Anonymous

• Are you suggesting they need to send everyone in the USA e-mails to warn us of recalls? Oh my goodness! Millions of e-mails? I don't think so.
    Anonymous

• Actually, you don't have to sign up for anything. You can just visit http://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls/default.htm when you want to see all the latest ones.

Anonymous

• No - I'm not suggesting they e-mail everyone in the country how ridiculous!

What I am saying is that if any product is recalled for any reason what so ever - even if there's just a slight chance that some people might get sick - a public notice should be made. Just as they do with any serious recall.

/OP/

Anonymous

• Thanks for the heads up OP.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• No problem ladies - I'm glad some people recognized I was only trying to be helpful to those who might want to know about any and all harmful items that might make their way into their homes or onto their dinner plates!

/OP/
    Anonymous