Hmmm...

My cousin and I have dd's that are about a month apart. His is just over 6mos and my dd is about 2 weeks away from 6 mos. DD has been rolling over for about a month now on her own. I was talking to my cousin and he said his dd just rolled for the first time the other day. I mentioned that dd has been rolling over for almost a month. and he said "well she cries everytime we put her on her belly so we just don't do it because we don't want to listen to her cry" I was floored! Talk about lazy parenting!! Dd cried too but thats why you get down and play with them and help them make tummy time easier! do it several times a day for a few min at a time. They're daughter can barely sit or anything. I was thinking about getting them a baby book but I don't know how to do it without being like here you REALLY need this! lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you should just butt out, and let them raise their child how they see fit. They're not endangering her in any way.
    Besides, babies develop at different rates, and have their own unique way going about it.
    Anonymous

• I agree I think you should back off a little, imagine how you would feel if someone tried to tell you how to raise your child. All babies develop at a different rate, my son was born in July and I have met other moms in my group whose babies are talking and walking and my son is not, maybe your baby is just developing faster.
    Anonymous

• I agree with backing off. Our son will be 7 months on the 9th. He's been rolling from back to belly for about 2 months. He just rolled from his belly to back in the past month or so. Now he's a pro. He HATED tummy time. Even if we got on the floor with him he would scream. There was no being lazy about it. If you can put your baby on the floor and tolerate them screaming so be it. I'm not going to do it.

Sean also won't sit by himself. Half the time when he sits supported he falls over or throws himself backwards. he wants no part in sitting. All he wants to do is roll all over the place and practice crawling (he gets up on all fours now, just isn't sure what to do yet lol).
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 3:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• you're being really judgemental, rude, and mean. cut it out!
    alotta_fagina

Answer by alotta_fagina at 3:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Agree with butting out. Your child may be ahead of theirs right now, but down the road it could very well end up the other way around - do you really want them coming to you and telling you how things should be then? Leave well enough alone, babies go at their own rate, if it becomes a problem their doctor will address it.
    Anonymous

• They all develop at their own pace. Mine was rolling over at just about five months without ever doing tummy time.

Just bite your tongue. There are probably things YOU do that THEY think are incredibly stupid, too. Better to not pick that fight.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I agree that you need to butt out. You're being very judgemental. Not wanting to upset their baby does not make them bad parents. I never forced mine to do tummy time when it made them cry. My kids didn't sit up until around 7 months or a little after. My DD just got tested to enter pre-k and at 3.5 yr old she tested at a 5.5 yr old level, so clearly rolling over at 6 months and sitting at 7.5 months has not hurt her. I think you need to focus on more important things. If they are being responsible, loving parents that is all that matters.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Oh and gdiamante is right (I should create a cut and paste macro that says that in order to save time on future questions), each baby does develop at his or her own pace. My DD walked at 15 months and my DS walked at 9 months. I did nothing different. They just were their own kid and did things when they were ready. My DD loved to crawl. The fact that she crawled for so long doesn't mean I need a parenting book. It just means she walked when she was ready. Your little cousin will do things as he's ready too.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I don't think she is being judgemental or rude. It came off as concern to me. One thing the pp's are right about is that babies develop at different rates. If her pediatrician was worried, they would tell her parents. I wouldn't worry about it unless the baby was ill cared for or neglected. As long as she's happy and healthy, don't worry, she'll get it on her own sooner or later :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Babies develop and meet milestones at their own rate! Who knows their dd might end up walking before yours, so if that happens does that mean they should get you a baby book?

Anonymous