sleeping, bottles and pacifiers!!

My dd just turned 1 and she loves her bottles and pacifiers! First of all she is not going to sleep by herself at bedtime and she is not sleeping though the night every night. She goes to sleep for nap by herself so what is the difference? Do I just let her scream her little head off until she goes to sleep! I am running out of patiences at bedtime.
She gets so cranky during the day without her pacifier and bottles! What do I do and how long is it appropriate to let her have these things? I am not judging but i dont like seeing kids walking around and talking with pacifiers hanging out of there mouths.

lillysmama2008

Asked by lillysmama2008 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm a BFing mommy, so I can't help with the bottle, but as for the paci, my pediatrician says it's fine to use until 18 months old, but then you should toss it. I got rid of the paci with my 2nd child when he was 15 months and that went a lot smoother than with my 1st child, who I let keep the paci until 18 months. Luckily my 3rd hated pacies.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I would start by introducing a sippy cup and getting rid of the bottle (either gradually or just cold turkey if gradual isn't working). Then limit the paci to the crib only. Then work on getting her to sleep - cio at 1 isn't an awful thing if you keep the end goal in mind and it usually doesn't take a long time. But, I would only tackle one change at a time rather than upending her whole little life!

Answer by missanc at 3:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My doctor told me no more paci by 18 months (my son quit using it at 6), and no bottle past 15 (hes 11 months now and im taking it soon).
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• When we took the bottle away from my DD at bed time (right around her first birthday) we accidently let her get ahold of the paci. (She was never interested in it and we had a few sitting around from when she was really little, so when we took the bottle she realized they would work for her.). So we cut her off of the bottle first, and about 6 months later, then the paci. We just let her cry it out for a few nights (literally it took like three nights) and she started sucking her thumb, but in my mind that was better than having to tote a paci around everywhere we go.

I personally think at 12 months it is really tough to just let them cry it out.
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone. My older dd was so easy to take the bottle and pacifier from so this is hard. She really likes straw cups and will drink from a sippy cup but they drowned her. We tried only letting her have her pacifier at bad time and wow she was crabby. So far she only has a bottle before bed and thats not bad. We have to force her to go to bed at night otherwise I think she would stay up later than we do!
    lillysmama2008

Answer by lillysmama2008 at 5:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2010