Graduation sadness...

As the mother of a beautiful and bright 18 year old daughter, I am struggling with the graduation blues. I am beyond thrilled and proud of my amazing young woman however I cannot help but feel emotionally wrecked at the same time. I am so not ready for this part of the journy to be over....and coping ideas ladies?

Thanks and God Bless

mamakirs

Asked by mamakirs at 3:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• My son graduated HS 2 years ago. It was a struggle to get him through it. I was feeling all sad/ like my baby's gone.....but then again, very, very happy that I didn't HAVE to MAKE him go to school anymore.
    I made a wonderful announcement to send to friends/ family with my favorite pic of him from Kindergarten and one with his cap/gown on....and it took me MONTHS to get it right....but somehow, getting THAT done, made ME feel better. Kind of like "the closure".
    The worst part for me I think was that he also went to MY HS and that was the BEST times of my life...and now that is really, really, really over.
    Hugs to you Mamakira....it's just the "next" step, like the first one that they ever took.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I know what you mean, but look at it as I did, an exciting journey of new things to come. I don't think any of us are ever ready though. Dedicate some time for yourself for a change. "hugs"

Answer by older at 3:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I am right there with you OP, my DD walks across the stage Thursday... Then college in August. I am so proud but at the same time, where did the 17 years go?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Thanks older..*Smiles*
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Im with ya midnight.....so proud I could burst one minute and crying the next. I have had such a great time raising her..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I have one year left with dd and I know it will go by in a second. She told me the other day she would love to do high school all over again. Sometimes I wish she could too. Enjoy the day, it is also a huge celebration for all her hard work and for your being a great mom to her and being there with her every step of the way!
    Anonymous

• The world is their oyster. A new beginning awaits them.
    Anonymous

• I am right there with you...I am very excited about my daughter's new adventures with going away to college, but I am so sad that I will not be there everyday. Good luck and I hope you find great ways to cope!
    ohmommamia

Answer by ohmommamia at 9:53 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Congratulations to your daughter!!!

My youngest 2 graduated on the 27th (I have been through graduation 2 other times with my 22 and 23yo's) and so far so good on the emotional end, this week. Last week was rough as I remembered all their firsts and milestones but this week is better. I am not sure what July and August will bring though. One leaves for Army basic in July and the other leaves for college in another state in Aug.. Hubby and I have an empty nest party for adults only planned for the end of August and we have a lot of travel plans and weekend vacation plans made for once the nest is empty. i think that we'll be fine. we have held on to ourselves as a couple over the past 25 years and as our children have grown independent we have grown closer.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I have one to go yet but this my oldest....and she and I are so close! We did find out at her awards ceremony last night that she rcv'd a full scholarship to a college here in town!!!! YIPPEE that makes it a bit easier for me.

Thanks everyone for the kind words...those who are struggling along with me, I will keep you in my prayers and may your children always be blessed!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2010