• In the Spotlight:

I am having a Leep procedure done tomorrow for HPV and I am scared any advice?

I was just diagnoised with HPV last month and was told that I have severe HPV. I am scheduled for a LEEP tomorrow. I am scared and it seems like every since I was told this all types of strange things have been happening, I have been experiencing abdominal pain, a sore/bump on my vagina that's itchy and just appeared yesterday I don't know what to think if its from the HPV or something else. Iam truely scared. I have read stories of people getting the LEEP and then months later still having abnormal paps. Can someone just please help with any advice. I am so scared of developing cervical cancer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Health

• none of mine after my LEEP were abnormal...just go to ALL your appts :) and take vitamins!! I remember being very scared, I was told nothing about the procedure/this was 10 yrs ago though. The procedure itself does not hurt but the local anesthetic injection DOES hurt but in a nutshell it is better than not going through it and risking possible cancer. It is worth it and don't ever think for a minute you should have waited or anything like that best to get it done and over with so you can move on with your life. Follow all the instructions the doc gives you, take vitamins (look up to see what is suggested for hpv or cervical cancer) and take the vitamins for at least 6 months and you should heal fine. Best of luck to you and don't worry!!!
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 8:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Ok I had this happen to me.... take a deep breath... The LEEP procedure isn't that bad at all. Honestly it hurt less then when they scrape your uterine wall during a normal pap. Have you done any research on HPV. From what I have found out it is a virus that you get. It causes you to have the abnormal cervical cells that can turn into cervical cancer. You might have an abnormal pap down the road and they will have to do this again. I am currently waiting on the results of my first post LEEP pap. You can't get rid of the virus so you can keep getting abnormal paps. The big thing you can do is get checked often and get it taken care of. I can't think of anything more right now. I don't know about the bump but tell your doc. The abdominal pain could be from stress too but let your doc know to. Good luck!!! If you want to chat msg me.
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 3:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I have had a LEEP done for precancerous cells. It wasn't that bad at all. I did have abnormal paps afetrward, but you just keep going every 3-6 months so they can monitor it. Trust me, NO ONE hates paps as much as I do and I can do it. Best of luck to you!
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 4:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I was just reading about the LEEP procedure to see if it's the same thing I had done years ago. I was just told mine was a laser surgery to remove the bad tissue. They didn't tell me it had a name! If it's the same thing I didn't hurt. It was done in the office and done in a short time. I had abnormal paps before but not after the procedure.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I had a LEEP in 1996, and I've never had an abnormal Pap smear since then. You just make sure you go to all of your check-ups and follow your doctor's advice. That is how you try to make sure you don't develop cancer.

I was awake when I had it done, and it was uncomfortable and somewhat painful. Take the maximum safe dose of Advil or Tylenol before you go (check the bottle, and don't exceed the safe dose because you'll need your liver and kidneys for quite a few more years, lol). Is there someone who can go with you for emotional support? I was terrified, but I got through the procedure and have never had a problem since then.

Allow yourself plenty of time to rest over the next few days. I tried going shopping the next day and got too tired. I kept having to sit down. It's a minor surgery but it does take a lot out of you (energy, I mean). You'll be okay, hun!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• OP, how are you doing?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• @ lamgr8teful thanks, for asking I feel ok. I am back at work today. The procedure was slightly painful and uncomfortable, but no where near what I imagined or what I've read about. Thank God for that... I just pray that all is well now and that I can manage to have normal paps again.
    Lordhelpmenow

Answer by Lordhelpmenow at 9:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2010