When do you usually go into maternity leave?

My doc told me usually 2 wks before due, but some my friends went a month before hand. I'm just trying to plan out my vaca days

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I worked up until the day the baby was born. Why waste your maternity leave days before the baby arrives?
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 3:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• With baby #1 I worked on Monday knowing I was getting induced on Wednesday and the only reason I took Tues off is because it was the start of a new pay period and I wanted an even paycheck. With baby #2 I was put on bedrest at 31 weeks but was allowed to work from home so I worked until 13 days before my induction and with baby #3 I would have worked up to my delivery date but we had a furlough and I had him on the last day of my furlough (10 days long) which was 9 days before my scheduled induction adn 16 days before my due date
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I am with momtobe, I didn't go on leave until after the baby was born.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I worked as long as I possibly could. With my older son, my last day was Friday and I had him Tues. My daughter it was 1 1/2 weeks. My youngest was just a few days. I couldn't see the point of wasting my precious few maternity leave days when I felt fine. I would rather use them when the baby was here when I really needed them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't waste any days BEFORE the baby is born unless you really aren't able to work. I went on maternity the day my first child arrived and 5 days before my twins arrived.
    Anonymous

• I didn't completely think the question through before posting my first reply. I was lucky in that I didn't have to worry about my replacement needing to know what day she would have to start. If you need to give your employer a date, I would recommend choosing a date about one week (or less) before your due date. Unless you have good reason to think you are going to go early, I see no reason to waste your maternity leave.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 3:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• You never really know when the baby is going to actually come. Your employer should work with you and you should be able to start your maternity leave the day the baby is born unless your doctor advises you to start it early. With my first baby I quit working 2 months before he was born and didn't go back to work (or the same job) until he was almost a year old. With this baby I plan to work up until I have the him/her. I don't want to waste my maternity leave before the baby comes. My employer will allow my hubby to go in and pick up the paperwork I need when the baby is born and will allow me to start my maternity leave the day the baby is born. You should talk with your HR representative and see what options you have. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2010