Would you buy your child a doll of a different race?

I was remembering a time when I was about 4 years old when I wanted a black doll (I'm white) and my dad's friend who was shopping with us told my mom that she should NOT buy it for me. My mom told him that she'd never teach me to be racist and that if I wanted all of my dolls to be black that they would be, lol. I still remember that little doll in the yellow dress. Anyways, I was wondering how some of you feel about this. Would you buy your child a doll that wasn't their skin color?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 4:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sure. I owned different race Barbies, and I LOVED them. My family thought I was weird, but I bought the Dolls of the World and had the Mexican and the Ethiopian, and the Indian Barbie, and lots of others. I loved them. My boys play with multi ethnic Little People Dolls. Tegrim favors the little Asian girl, while Douglas likes the African American Man. That leaves mommy to be the white, redheaded farmer. Joy.
    truthrowan

Answer by truthrowan at 3:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• both my son and my daughter had different culture baby dolls
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I love all of those cultural dolls. I wonder in your memory if you wanted the "black" doll actually, or the one in the yellow dress...I'm wondering what exactly attracted you to that particular doll.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I love all of those cultural dolls. I wonder in your memory if you wanted the "black" doll actually, or the one in the yellow dress...I'm wondering what exactly attracted you to that particular doll."

I wanted her because she was black. I had a black friend and I wanted to pretend that the doll was my friend and that one of my white dolls was me, lol. Plus, that doll was different from my others ones. I also always wanted boy dolls, but they were hard to find. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Sure...and my daughter has dolls of different races. I love buying dolls,lol. So when we are at the store and I take her down the baby doll isle I let her pick what she wants.
    I also think its good to have multicultural baby dolls.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My oldest daughter & son had all colors of Barbies, GI Joes & other dolls, now our 2 youngest have the same. Why in the world would a parent not let their child have dolls of different colors? Such a great way to teach about different cultures, races etc.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I would if my daughter had any interest in dolls. So far, she's like me, though, and doesn't play with them.
    Anonymous

• My favorite doll when I was growing up was a black doll. I saved it along with a couple of other favorite stuffed animals. My husband accidentally threw it away when cleaning out the garage. I was so mad I would have liked to give it to my daughter. I'm surprised this is really a question.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• yep
    Anonymous

• Do they make alien dolls????
    Anonymous