Ok.. so It's my fault but I don't know what to do now.

About 6 months ago my 2-1/2 yr old son stopped sleeping through the night after a virus, which reading on here seems pretty common.. but he never stopped waking up.. the first week after his virus I went to him because he complained of being sick - ok, so I would sit by his bed until he fell asleep or tried to comfort him until he was better, well he only freaked out when I tried to leave the room, screaming and crying and I was told to let him CIO - well after a full month of fighting with this each night for up to 4 hours and he would throw himself around his room and almost broke his nose, I said enough, and so far, ended up in his bed with him.. i tried leaving when he fell asleep, that stopped working, I can somenights talk to him and get him to go to bed without me there and he always starts out by himself, its just when he wakes he freaks out - not terrors but bad dreams? habit? but now what? how do I get around this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OP: I tried a night light, he has a fan in his room for white noise, we have a great routine.. well its at least the same routine I should say and USED To be great. He is full, not teething, checked out and ok by the Dr. Not sure how to prevent these wake up;s or get them better .. he just wakes up crying for me - he's fully awake and says he's sick - which I was told by the Dr that is his way of getting me to comfort and care for him so he's "playing me" I guess.. He's been checked out by the Dr and OK all day. He is already monitored by food due to certain allergies and lactose issues... they are under control right now, at least during the day, not sure if its affecting him at night but the Dr's don't think so.. I don't know what else to do - but I miss my husband - and I don't sleep well getting beat in a twin bed with a 2 year old either...
    Anonymous

• He needs to know you mean what you say and now you have a big problem on your hands. He's figured out that if he throws a big enough fit, you will give in. Clean out his room of all of the things he can get hurt on. Establish a routine. Always do the same thing every night. First you play, give a warning that in so many minutes its bed time, then now its so many minutes so finish up, now its time to get ready for bed. Brush teeth, wash face, put on jammies, lay out clothes for the next day, pick out a book to read. O.k.after we are done reading this book you need to go to sleep. Read half book, ok tell him when you are done he needs to go to sleep. Now you are done and ask him if he needs anything, drink of water, etc..Now it is time to go to sleep, and he needs to go to sleep. You can check on him, don't pick him up, just talk to him. After a few nights of him throwing a possible fit, you only check on him he'll sleep.
    Anonymous

• op: that's just it, the going to bed is great,.,. no problem. Goes to bed on his own but its when he wakes up in the middle of the night he won't go back alone.. and I just don't know what it up - some times he does tell me about dreams or cry's ex "where's my brown shoes"" like he had a bad dream about his shoes.. but this isn't letting up.. every month he'll throw in a night he actually sleeps through but that is literally 1 time a month.. he's getting 1 nap a day -of maybe an hour - those are slowly becoming less and less. so I don't think its the nap cause he IS going to bed ok , its just he gets SO upset in the middle of the night..
    Anonymous

• Have you tryed "Big boys do not sleep with their moms" "You must not be a big boy if you need me to sleep with you"

Answer by louise2 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• OP: Actually, we've tried that with the Potty and he's apparently OK With not being a big boy.. right now I am offering bribe's. I say If you can sleep ALL Night, without crying or screaming for mommy, I will give you something very special when you wake up" then he chimes in with his favorite treat and I say YES, that's what mommy will give you and we talk a bit about how great that would be,,, then he wakes at night, we battle and then when its time to get up for the morning, he asks for the treat and i remind him he did NOT sleep all night so he does NOT get his special treat and he's completely OK with that too -
    Anonymous

• My DD was really bad about trying to get in bed with me at night, or wanting me to sleep with her. I finally told her that if she slept in her bed for x amount of nights (we picked 5 since she was 5 years old), that she could pick out a brand new set of bedding and a new baby doll. Well she has been in her bed by herself for 3 nights now with no getting up, and only cried the first night. Trust me you want to get him out of this habit NOW because they do not break the habit themselves and its much more difficult doing it as they get older. Try to find something that really appeals to him, and let him work toward getting it. If he messes up one night, just remind him the next morning and start over.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Have you tried giving him something special? A little match box car? A special shirt of yours? A teddy? My friends kid used to sleep with her bra. Who knows what will work, you need to trick him into being autonomous. Give him a cup of water and a cracker there for when he wakes up that he can feed himself. Something to break the cycle. Keep your cool you can live through this.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2010