Do pregnant women still ask Doctors to prescribe something for morning sickness?

Doctors began to see more and more cases. It turned out that a drug called thalidomide, which pregnant women were taking for morning sickness, was responsible. Magazines and newspapers ran shocking pictures of seal-limbed children, and the drug was banned in 1962. By then, 10,000 children, mostly in Europe, had been born with thalidomide-induced birth defects.

What drug are we talking about here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Are you asking what they prescribe for women now? If so, it's Phenergan & Zofran.
    I took Phenergan for hyperemesis, and still lost 22 lbs. Blecch!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 8:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• What are you talking about? Everyone knows that the medication prescribed in the 50's and 60's was a tragic mistake that was made when doctor's prescribed a medication that simply hadn't been studied enough and they used pregnant women as Guinea pigs. Obviously this drug is not used anymore and only in very serious cases is a drug prescribed for morning sickness.

I only personally know 2 people, including myself, who have been prescribed and taken something for morning sickness. In my case I was so sick that I became extremely anemic to the point that I could hardly stand and I lost over 30 pounds in the matter of only a couple of months.

My friend who was prescribed meds was hospitalized 4 times in the first 8 weeks of her pregnancy for severe dehydration.

Both drugs have been used for years without any affects on the unborn baby.

Anonymous

• I'm not exactly sure what you are asking...are women still being given this drug? The answer to that is in your question so...yeah, I have no idea. Are you asking why women would take any kind of medication for nausea? In my case it was either have medication or stay in the hospital with an IV for the first 6 months of pregnancy. I guess I could have said no to both and died...but I didn't like that option at all. So I decided on medication. I still threw up a lot but at least I could drink enough to stay hydrated.
    Anonymous

• yeah, I'm not sure I understand the question, if there is one..... they don't give that med anymore and it was a huge tragedy. There are some safe things prescribed now days though. I lost 16lbs during my first trimester and couldn't do anything, or leave my house because I was literally throwing up 24/7. I was prescribed zofran which saved my life I think, and it is safe. I actually ended up needing it for both my pregnancies. There is also reglan, and a couple others that are given during pregnancy for nausea in extreme cases.
    Anonymous