how old was your child when they started

throwing little tantrums for things that they couldn't do or have? mine is almost two and is already starting to do this. It gets very exhausting and annoying. Ugh! It also seems to get louder...crying and screaming when we say no..no or be nice. Any tips on how to deal with them at this stage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 4th child is 13 months and does this! lol Ignore it.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My son was over 3 when he started, but my daughter? 8 months. Crazy. If we're at home, I walk away and ignore them, if we're out, I remove them from the situation if possible.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 5:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Ignore it. My oldest almost never threw fits (it's just her personality though) but my youngest - she's more prone to fits. She doesn't throw all out fits. I try to use positive reinforcement. Anything good they do, I tell them good girl. Example: yesterday at my friends, her 15 month old was playing with these little tomatoes. Her mom kept telling her to quit. She asked me if I'd keep an eye on her while she went in the house. I said yes. The little girl went for the tomatoes again and I said "no, no" - she immediately took her hands away and when she did, I said "GOOD GIRL! That's such a good girl!" she smiled and clapped and didn't touch them again.
    If you praise all the good behavior you can, they will do good things to get attention - instead of the other way around (doing bad things to get attention).
    And ignoring a fit is the best way to go. I tell mine to go to their bedrooms to do it because I don't want to see it
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Mine was 14 mos when it got bad, but it really started at about 6 mos. I used to walk away and ignore them and now I just send her to her room and tell her to come out when she has calmed down. This is getting better every day we get closer to her 2nd birthday but the defiance is also getting worse. LOL
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• my nine month old has started the tantrums. She also bites on purpose. As in you take away something that big sister left on the floor away from Lily she turns around and bites.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 5:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My DS was 19 Months when it started. It has gotten slightly worse occassionally and he's 3 1/2. I just ignor it at home and if we are out, I take him immediateltly out to the car. Just the other day, we were out & he saw a toy that he wanted and it was expensive & I said no. He had a fit and I took him to the car and he worked himself into a tizzy and barfed in the back seat.
    Anonymous

• honestly. my son was 7 months old when he first started throwing fits - this was after bathtime - He can pitch a fit with the best of them. I just try to stay consistant although yes, there are days I feel defeated and just want to give in, DON"T.. I stay strong then cry later lol!! My son is 2-1/2 and I hear the 3's are harder..ugh..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• When mine started doing that, somewhere between 18 months and 2 years, I would scoop them up and put them on their beds and tell them they could come out when they were ready to behave. It worked for us. I still have to occasionally do that with our 5 year old, but not very often. My 10 year old never pitches a fit.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• All 3 of my girls were around 18 months old when they began the "terrible two's."
    My granddaughter began her little fits just this past month and she is 15 months old.
    I would give them two choices on things that were not severe in order to hopefully avoid a breakdown; I remained firm on things that were absolutely prohibited by saying "no" and taking them away from the situation; I walked away from their tantrums so they didn't have an audience; if I could not walk away (i.e., in a grocery store) then I let them scream and cry while I ignored them; and redirection works nicely, too, on some matters.
    Never hit, scream back, or say things you will regret. Just remember that they are testing their boundaries and do not know how to handle what they are trying to do (pushing at their boundaries). They crave boundaries & order and they will outgrow the chaos that you seem to be living in right now.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• my son was 2 1/2 when it started hes 3 now going on 4 in nov and it has gotten so bad!!!!!!!! there is days where i want to just scream or cry im at my wits end now he will call me and my bf idiots!
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2010