Secret Parent Competition? Do you or Don't you?

Do you secretly compare your children to your friends children and your parenting skills with other parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't compare my child with others, but I do my parenting skills. The way I see it, the other kids have no control over their parents..

I have SO MANY family members who have kids who just really never, never should have. Horrible parents. Then I have some that are the best parents I have ever met. I don't judge what they do/have done, but I do take their parenting skills and mistakes and learn from them, helping me teach my child.
    Anonymous

• I guess I kinda do compare my children with other children but in connection to the parenting, I do believe that children often learn from their parents, sometimes they can have the greatest parents and still pick up bad habits or not take the right path. I try to compare but not judge, I don't believe my way of raising my children is better than others, we just don't parent the same and my kids are not the same as other kids, that's kinda where it stops with me.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• yeah everyone does it and if they say they don't there fooling them self, it's part of being human especially in this day and age with all the pressures of being a "supermom"

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 5:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Sometimes I do. I dont mean too. Like my co-worker, her son goes to private catholic school and he is a big star football player. She always brags about him during football season. My son hates football. Sometimes I feel like I havent done enough, not just about football. I wish I could have had hm attend a private school, stuff like that. But ya know what, he is a really good kid. Good student, nice kid. Really what more could we ask for in our kids?
    Anonymous

• Yeah I guess I do - Before I had Kids I thought certain people were better parents and then when I became a parent, I realized just how few "good" parents are out there - one's who WANT and LIKE/LOVE to spend time with their kids and don't try to pawn them off every chance they can.. However I fear we will smoother our son so I look to other parents to see what they do - I think that's only normal for those of us who will admit parenting didn't come natural to us - like me.. I have no clue - so I read and learn and try my best to educate myself in every area - in hope's I won't mess him up too bad
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I don't compare my kid to others, but I do compare my parenting style and try and learn from what others have done or didn't do. I always compare myself to my sister so that I don't become the crappy parent that she is ever.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Not usually. I do comment when I see an out of control kid and a parent who doesn't know how to take control of a situation.
    Anonymous

• I do compare but I try not to judge too harshly because I know most of us are just doing the best we know how. If I see a parent who just lets their kid hit other kids and doesn't do anything about it (happened at the mall one time - thankfully NOT to my kid or I WOULD have said something), then I am judgey.
    I try not to judge BUT if someone is getting high and mighty about some of their tactics or "beliefs" and try to lecture me about it but I can see full well that they don't do the things they are preaching, then I get judgemental. Most of the time, if I'm comparing, I'm trying to learn.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My son is developmentaly delayed, so yeah, I compare, but I don't let him know I'm doing it. I just want to see what the kids his age are doing and sometimes I can figure out ways to adapt what they're doing so he can join in. I don't bother comparing parenting skills because we're not dealing with the same sorts of needs, behaviors & issues, so nothing in common, y'know?
    Anonymous

• I'll admit it, I sure do. lol
    tasase

Answer by tasase at 12:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2010