Moving to Germany

We just found out we are moving to Germany in a couple months. I have no idea where to start or what I am getting into. Any help/advice would be WONDERFUL.

Thank you
Amanda

1Manda

Asked by 1Manda at 5:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Travel

• Take me with you...? Soooo jealous. Good luck!
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I lived in Germany for 3 years and it was wonderful. I would like to go back again someday. Well, to get prepared you can start brushing up on your German. It won't be a necessity (nearly everyone speaks at least a little bit of English in Germany), but it would be nice. Also, you can start pack anything that you don't want to take with you and put it in storage or at a parent's house. We only took the very basic stuff but of course we had just gotten married and that was all we had, lol. Do you know where you will be going to in Germany? If you do, then you can start researching the area. Also, do you have any school age kids? If so, start the process of getting everything transferred over. There is so much to do, and so little time to do it in, especially since a lot of it is last minute stuff. The best advice I could give you is to make a list of everything that needs to get done and make a time line. Cont..

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Cont.. Do what you can now and keep a list of things that can not be done until you find out where you are going and/or when you will be going. A few things that some people forget about is the car. If you have a loan be sure to call the bank to let them know about it. Most will be fine with it as long as you tell them. Also, the problem we ran into was the car insurance. Our car insurance would NOT cover us if we shipped our car over there, so we decided to sell it. We we got there we found out that GEICO and AIG both would have covered us. There is also USAA, which I highly recommend. Anyways, if you have any questions please feel free to pm me. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I lived at Ramstein for 6 years. PM me questions if you like. We also used USAA loved them and still have them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Where at in Germany are you moving to? I actually live in Heidelberg
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2010