Signing with Baby

Anyone do this? Would you recommend it? When do you start introducing the signs? And what signs did you start with?

fenska87

Asked by fenska87 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We sign with our babies. I highly recommend it. We started at about 7 months, but we didn't expect much for a few months. We started with eat, more, milk, drink, please, and thank you.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 5:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I definitely recommend it. Babies develop motor skills long before they can start speaking. My son is a little delayed, but he just showed me his first signs today and I've been trying for about a year. I started at 7 months and was NOT very dedicated with it. But I've seen some mamas who keep at it and their babies are signing well before 12 months. My son is now 19 months today. I started with "eat" "milk" "more" and "water" because that is what he seems to need the most.
    eeyore530

Answer by eeyore530 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I have been siging with my son since birth (i'm an interpreter) and he recognized signs by about 3 months old (mostly milk). I have several friends who are deaf and so of course their children are exposed 24/7/365 and little 8 month old native signers are the cutest! Most of my deaf friends kids sign pretty well by the time they're 12-18 months.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 6:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• It is definately worth it!!! It has made things so much easier with my DS since he can sign what he wants instead of pitching a fit. (not that he doesn't have tantrums,lol) I would start w/ things like "help","eat", "drink", "more","please". My DS is 2.5 and uses words fairly well, now....but he still signs just in case. :) I didn't start w/him until he was like 12 months old.....but the earlier the better! I say start right now!!
    TristansMom440

Answer by TristansMom440 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I recommend it and I'm starting it with my twin boys (almost 9 months)
    i've been learning sign for a long time and my first sign language teacher told me she started signing with her kids right away and they signed way before they spoke. it helps them because they can express what they need/want before they can speak so they dont get as frustrated! its a great skill, its just like teaching them another language, it will be good later in life too!!!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2010