Evolutionists?

Obviously biblical literalists believe what the Bible says about the Earth's creation, that plants came before animals. What is the evolutional standing on this? Were plants here first, or animals?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Animals in the form of muli-celled organisms lived at the same time as rudimentary plant life. Nature had them live in harmony. Both came to live on land as the waters receded and lands were formed.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

My goodness! So you were there and witnessed this first-hand? That is quite something!
    Anonymous

• Troll much lately?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Anon :05....that was a silly question.
    Maybe we should ask you if you were in the Garden of Eden and saw Adam and Eve as they were put on earth..."Poof"....all in one day,huh?
    Once you have knowledge, education and think with logic, you know that Evolution is THE answer to how we all got here on earth.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• gertie - perfectly stated. I would like to add that plants could not exist on land without microorganisms living and dying, creating soil fertile enough to allow more complex plant life to take hold, which then allowed larger species of animals to grow, who then died, creating more and more fertile soil.
    *sings* It's the CIIIIIIIIIRCLE.....The CIIIIIIRCLE of LIIIIIIIIIIFE!!!
    Anonymous

• http://sci.waikato.ac.nz/evolution/EvolutionOfLife.shtml

The middle era of Precambrian time, spanning the period between 3800 and 2500 million years ago is called the Archaean, meaning ancient. Life arose on Earth during the early Archaean, as indicated by the appearance of fossil bacteria in rocks thought to be about 3500 million years old.

It may seem surprising that bacteria can leave fossils at all. However, one particular group of bacteria, the cyanobacteria or "blue-green algae," have left a fossil record that extends far back into the Precambrian - the oldest cyanobacteria-like fossils known are nearly 3500 million years old and are among the oldest fossils currently known.

The oldest multi-cellular algae fossil dates to 1200million years. The first animals in the fossil record appeared between 620 and 550 million years ago.

I consider algae to be a form of plant life.
    Anonymous

• Naaa, I disagree with all of you. If we are to use logic, the only feasible expanation for life is Intelligent Design. Your lack of belief in no way alters the truth! It is really interesting to talk about it though. I think that you ladies have so many great ideas.
    Zanjea

Answer by Zanjea at 9:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• To be honest I would have to believe that plant, animal and mineral lifeforms all evolved along side one another. It makes sense that some form of basic plant life developed first, but because of their mutual need for one another in todays world it would be logical that basic plant life would have been just as dependent on basic animal life and visa versa. However, I am far from an evolutionary expert.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• :59 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 by: Zanjea
    Naaa, I disagree with all of you. If we are to use logic, the only feasible expanation for life is Intelligent Design. Your lack of belief in no way alters the truth! It is really interesting to talk about it though. I think that you ladies have so many great ideas
    *******************************
    I believe in God but I think Adam and Eve are symbolic, fictional characters. And I believe that God or some superior being created the first one-celled animals and plants on earth and let evolution do the rest. And the same happened on other planets in other solar systems, as I think we are not the only beings and not the only planet with life forms.

Could you explain "intelligent design" ? That is something I am not familiar with.

But I do not lack in belief.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I agree with gertie. I believe the creation story is more symbolism than anything else, and is about putting us within the Divine context/story than it is about being a literal explanation of the earth's formation.

I believe in Creator guided/intended Evolution, that He whatever form the earth and things on it started as, He created it/them with the ability and opportunity to grow and evolve. Kind of like the watchmaker of the Deists making and winding the watch and letting it go to do what it was designed to do, I believe He set everything in place perfectly so that these systems (like evolution, the weather patterns, the tectonic plates, planetary orbit around the sun, etc) would be able to carry on once they got started, if that makes sense...

Thinking this way, the scientific theory of evolution and the belief in God can go hand in hand. They don't have to contradict.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2010