my 1 and a half year old tells me no

When i ask her eat, drink her cup, change her clothes......everything. What do i do?????

TNT8687

Asked by TNT8687 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• unfortunately that is one of the first words a baby learns along with momma and dadda....just be stern with them and let them know it is not ok to tell you no....
    Anonymous

• The think is, this isn't just something she "says" she knows the difference between yes and no.....and she refuses to do the things we ask her to do. Im at my wits end with it.....
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• ignore it,she wants to get your goat

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• You apparently tell her no, so she thinks she can tell you no. :-)

When my DD was going through that, I just worked with her. I yelled a few times because I lost my patience, but its all you can do. I would tell her, "It is time to eat dinner" and if she said no I would tell her again. If she said it again I would pick her up and put her at the table. Now that she is two, if I tell her to do something like go to eat, and she wont all I have to do is say, "If you don't come eat now, you don't get a snack later." And she comes a running! ;-) At that age, I wouldn't be concerned about it.
    Anonymous

• Saying no is a normal thing for children that age. They are not being "bad", neither should they be punished for it. They are asserting their independance, as they are figuring out that they are separate person apart from their mommy.

We as adults get annoyed when we hear our toddlers say no, but that's adding fuel to the fire. You react negatively to the word, the toddler picks up on it, then keeps on saying no to see your reaction. The best thing you can do is to continue to give your toddler choices.

Mom: It's time for lunch, darling.

Toddler: No!

Mom: It's time for lunch. You can eat your lunch now, or you can not eat your lunch. If you don't eat your lunch, you will be hungry.

(Walk away from toddler, act as if you're busy)

**Once he sees that you are not reacting at all to the word no, he will choose to eat his lunch.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My LO says no even when he means yes. I'll ask if he wants to go to the park or go swimming, and he'll say "no" while nodding his head. Cracks me up - I keep asking if he's schizophrenic and of course he denies it :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:47 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Put Her in time out until She can listen or else it probly will get worse.
    From2to3

Answer by From2to3 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Ignore it and try using "no" less often yourself and use more directive sentences that you want her to do and save "no" for big things like, running into the street or touching a hot stove.
    Anonymous